Is this legal, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to refurbished apartment a year ago and on the face of it the work done seemed to be of a high standard. This cant be said of the bathroom as I have had experienced several issues.

The problem I have now is that last week when I turned the bathroom lights on there was a small bang and the trip switch flicked off. On closer inspection the wiring to one 12v lamp seemed to have deteriorated and got hot exposing bear wire.

There are 4 recessed down lighters in the bathroom, 3 are 12V/50w while the other one located a foot above the shower head is 240V/50W!!. My dad said this maybe illegal.

Can anyone please clarify this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
is it IP rated? is there additional seals/ protective glass etc separating the electrics from the outside faces.
does it have an earth connector on it?

Thanks for the reply,

Not sure if it is IP rated, all I can see on the fitting is numbers E633 and 2/250?

The lights are held in by a metal clip to the outer metal surround and there are no additonal seals.

I don't think it has an earth connector to it.

Apologies for lack of detailed info, electrics aren't my strong point

the reason i ask is i've just had some spotlights fitted into the bathroom but had to pay extra for the IP65 rated ones

IP65 protected mains lights. glass screen protects outside world from bulbs glass
89477.jpg

Normal Mains spotlight looks like this, where the bulb face is touchabel with only a wire circlip holing the bulb in place.
58569.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to post those pics,

Mine aren't the protected type and will be taking this up with managment if I can ever get them round!!

IMO it is a nuisance to fit light directly above a bath or shower, because then they have to have additional protection. It is less trouble to set them slightly aside. As you already have some 12v lamps I would have thought it would be easiest to put another 12v lamp in the position you mention.

An unprotected, mains voltage lamp is not permitted.

If I was doing it I would have preferred low-energy lamps, as they do not get hot and last a very long time. I happen not to like downlighters because you need a lot of then to overcome the very directional light, and when fashions change, you will be stuck with those holes in the ceiling.

you're right but they mostly aren't >3m high

Finn, is your bathroom ceiling 3 metres or more high?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back