Is this microbore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a new boiler + power flush scheduled for next week.

Are they going to have issues with these skinny pipes?
IMG_3780.JPG

Sponsored Links
yes its microbore but as the valves are either side of the rads then it should be ok and successfully flushed

Did they not flush the system before or while the new boiler was going in? That would be the most practical approach.

Hopefully they planning to flush each rad individually.

Did they not flush the system before or while the new boiler was going in? That would be the most practical approach.

Hopefully they planning to flush each rad individually.
It's coming next week - and I think it's a MagnaCleanse not a power flush after all!

Sponsored Links
OH OK, that's a little different. Only reason I mention it is because microbore is very resistant to power flushing, simply down to the fact that as the bore is small then the flow through can be quite restrictive causing issues with the powerflush pump. That and a powerflush can then move large chunks of debris about the system and cause blockages in manifolds and small bore fittings.

The magnecleanse is gentler as it uses the system pump and is less liable to blockages but then it comes down to the cleaner, how it's dosed and left to dissolve system solids. Needs an experienced chap to get the most from it. I hope a system filter was installed as part of the new boiler works?

Is it the same bods that installed you system that are back to flush it? I presume the system is quite dirty? Sometimes a mains flush or the rads actually being removed and manually flushed can be more effective.

OH OK, that's a little different. Only reason I mention it is because microbore is very resistant to power flushing, simply down to the fact that as the bore is small then the flow through can be quite restrictive causing issues with the powerflush pump. That and a powerflush can then move large chunks of debris about the system and cause blockages in manifolds and small bore fittings.

The magnecleanse is gentler as it uses the system pump and is less liable to blockages but then it comes down to the cleaner, how it's dosed and left to dissolve system solids. Needs an experienced chap to get the most from it. I hope a system filter was installed as part of the new boiler works?

Is it the same bods that installed you system that are back to flush it? I presume the system is quite dirty? Sometimes a mains flush or the rads actually being removed and manually flushed can be more effective.

The work hasn't been done yet - we are having a new boiler installed next week and this is part of the job. I am just trying to get ahead of any issues.

The system has never been cleaned to my knowledge and is about 32 years old!!

We are having a magnet filter applied with the boiler.

The water in our rads is like oil, very black indeed!

The water in our rads is like oil, very black indeed!
That's the key - just make sure you have agreed with them that if any problems occur with rads not heating up properly etc that they'll be on hand and will return smartly and without issue to sort it out.

Microbore can go really smoothly or end up a real pain and unfortunately it's not possible to know which will be which.

eek! what kind of things shall I be looking out for?
Not for you to look out for, you are paying for someone to do that, just make sure that you let them know that you know the microbore system can sometime cause issues with restrictions/blockages when cleaned so you want that taken into consideration. Is it 8mm or 10mm pipe, can't quite see from the pic.

I will. The company doing it (Heatable) says it's no problem but I will reinforce my concerns with the actual installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back