Is this my stop valve???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we've not been in our house too long and I'm looking for our stop valve / stop-cock. It's not under the sink and it's not under the stairs, where the boiler and meters etc are. It's a 1930s semi and has some old looking pipes and fittings etc.

There's a strange looking covering near the kitchen sink, in what used to be the outside wall which is now part of the extended kitchen:
Upon removing the covering, I've found a strange looking bit of pipe work with a couple of bolts and a sticky out bit. Looks very old. Is this my stop valve?? Bit concerned about trying to turn it at all though, looks very old.

These should help:
close up:

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Yes you have found it. It's on a lead water main. The lead will probably go upstairs to your bathroom where it will be changed over to copper.

You should also have one outside the property somewhere.

Would be nice to get both working and then replaced.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
right thanks all. Another stupid question then - is closing it (in theory) a simple case of turning the nut clockwise?

@landyandy: When you mean another one outside, do you mean the one underground or somthing else?

Cheers!

Clockwise for off.

These old stoptaps can weep a bit when turned off.

I would try to locate your outside stop tap. You will then have full control.
1930's house it could be in the front garden or just on the street. Usually a small square metal cover and then the tap a good arms length down. Where are your neighbours?. Could be full of crud.

Have you considered going on the lead replacement scheme?

Andy.

Sounds like I've opened a can of worms simply looking for my stop tap!!

Ah well. THe wierd thing with this tap is there insn't any form of handle or anything... not great in the case of an emergency...

I've found a small grate out the front, just on the other side of the front wall, but it's between myself and our connected neighbour, so not sure if it does both houses or not - I'll have to ask them if they know. The house is 1930s semi so not sure if we've got a seperate supply pipe or a common one. Not had a look in it yet either.

I think I need to find a local plumber!

Yes try and get at least one, but both would be best, working so you are in full control of your supply.

All the best.

Andy.

At the risk of looking stupid it doesnt look like a stop tap to me !

Its not a crytal clear image but it looks like a stop end on 15mm and its fastened to the lead with some kind of adaptor.

A perfect image would help !!

No stuffing box nut, no square end to shaft, and body just aint big enough to house everything. and It looks like a endfeed stop end on the end of 15mm pipe.

Look again Dan !

well image isnt fine enough but could be ! :confused:

It`s got 2 wiped joints on the lead :idea: I know gas fitters could only manage a taft with a blowpipe and spirit lamp on the tails from meters before they invented anacondas :LOL: The water supplier will locate their stoptap for the OP and also advise on lead replacement scheme / metering etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back