Is this normal? Tiles around velux look messy

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I decided to mention something to him on Friday and he said that the roof is not finished yet and that they will pin them down properly after we have finished painting the outside of the house in case any break.
Now my question is, could they ever look good with that flashing? Or does the flashing need changing? Or do we ask for the whole roof tiles to be changed to the big ugly ones?

They insist that these are new interlocking tiles suitable for low pitches. Here is a picture of the tile. they lock every 4 tiles or something like that. Any thoughts? I wish I had a name for them!

The electrics and carpentry the guy did were really good so I am happy with those it's just this roof! I can't even look at it without cringing.

Thanks once again for all your help!

Sponsored Links
strip the roof and get the proper tiles for the pitch on your roof would be a good start.

You do know it will have to be re-felted and lathed again to suit these tiles.No good just removing the laths,leave the felt and refixing the laths to suit them tiles.?You want new felt as the other felt will be full of holes where the laths were secured.As "alastairreid" said,strip and start again.

Surely the existing laths could be left, and just add new laths at the appropriate spacing.
What about the laths that most certanly will need to be removed?Just bodge the holes in the felt with silicon?I would not want that on my roofNot when youve paid good money for a new roof.If the guage of the laths do not interfere with the original laths then yes but its a big "if".Some laths will most certanly need removed.I would say a fair few will need removed.

Hi everyone,

I decided to mention something to him on Friday and he said that the roof is not finished yet and that they will pin them down properly after we have finished painting the outside of the house in case any break.
Now my question is, could they ever look good with that flashing? Or does the flashing need changing? Or do we ask for the whole roof tiles to be changed to the big ugly ones?

They insist that these are new interlocking tiles suitable for low pitches. Here is a picture of the tile. they lock every 4 tiles or something like that. Any thoughts? I wish I had a name for them!

The electrics and carpentry the guy did were really good so I am happy with those it's just this roof! I can't even look at it without cringing.

These are sandtoft 2020 .. rec pitch 22.5 degrees.
can you possibly measure from the bottom of a tile to the bottom of the tile above giving the exposed length?

Hi everyone,

These are sandtoft 2020 .. rec pitch 22.5 degrees.
can you possibly measure from the bottom of a tile to the bottom of the tile above giving the exposed length?

Yes those are the ones! I found the link here. It says it can go down to 15 degree pitch which is a relief. I found out our pitch is about 17 degrees.
http://www.sandtoft.co.uk/tiles/our-products/natural-clay-range/plain-tiles/2020/product/
I went out of the top window above and measured the exposed tile it's roughly 25cm or 10inches long.
They did change all the battens before they fitted these.

What flashing have they used and what flashing is the recommended one? I can't figure it out.
http://installers.velux.co.uk/V-GB/Installers.nsf/Flashings?openview&restricttocategory=20 20

Also here are some more pictures I took from the top this time, they look ok from this angle but not from the bottom looking up.

do we ask for the whole roof tiles to be changed to the big ugly ones?

Hi Alicia,
I have attached a picture of the Redland Mock Bond Mini Stonewold (ie; big ugly tiles), i think they look just fine and sit nicely on the EDZ Velux flashing kit.

Jason

Thanks for the photo! Yeah those look like they are sitting nicely. Is this a different type of flashing than we have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back