tiling around two velux windows look messy, is it done correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
hope someone may be able to shed some light on this tiling around two velux windows.
it looks very messy, but am concerned that there is more to it than that.

There seem to be a lot of tiles with broken end lips/grooves (interlicking bits) .... am i picky or should i ask for those to be replaced?
IMG_1006.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG

The builder is saying that is how they are around velux windows and nothing can be done about it.

Should i stick to my guns and ask to make it right or are they right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

deniz

Sponsored Links
What's the roof pitch for starts? Velux windows go down to 15 degrees done right. Are tiles suitable for the pitch and have the right headlap if so?

Some brands do tile and halves not sure with this tile however this would have eliminated the small cuts are the Velux.

The kick up around the window is about right due to the flashing but it looks rough in places.

That's my extension shows the tile and halves to reduce small cuts but as I said not sure if your tile manufacturer does them.

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_112348.jpg
    IMG_20190519_112348.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_20190519_112334.jpg
    IMG_20190519_112334.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 921
thanks CJRatch

appreciate your response.
not sure what the pitch is unfortunately, would need to go on site and work it out.
i hope its right tile they are using as they are a large developer, doing lots of these houses on same site ..... am hoping they are competent.

your ones looks very tidy indeed ..... i would be happy if mine were like that.
i think the tiles are marley brown something but would need to ask them.

Sponsored Links
A quick look says the tiles go down to 17.5 degrees that's got to be close. Tile and halves are available so it could have been done much neater.

Being a large developer I presume it's a new build? Looks like a price worked rush job to me with not much pride on show at all.

A quick look says the tiles go down to 17.5 degrees that's got to be close. Tile and halves are available so it could have been done much neater.

Being a large developer I presume it's a new build? Looks like a price worked rush job to me with not much pride on show at all.

You don't get tile and a halve for Marley moderns. You need to cut your havles.

yes well guessed ..... it is a new build.

you reckon the best i can ask them to do is to tidy up and possibly replace those two broken ones, where you can see the interlocking end bits broken off?

is it likely to leak where the tiles are not flash on top of each other?

thanks again

Your paying a premium price for a new build. Does that look like premium work? Not at all.

Create yourself a snagging list of any problems alongside this and request the developer rectify before you move in.

Doesn’t look the best, but you’ll always get the tiles kicking up as they’ve got the flashing below them. The broken interlock channels are deffo an issue tho, if they extend back beyond the front of the tile.

Doesn’t look the best, but you’ll always get the tiles kicking up as they’ve got the flashing below them. The broken interlock channels are deffo an issue tho, if they extend back beyond the front of the tile.

If it is done properly there should be no tiles lifted due to the flashing

Its a rubbish job.
The window is not positioned properly in relation to tile battens. Unfortunately there this little room to adjust battens to suit the window.
There is a cut course of tiles under the front apron flashing...Wrong!
As already mentioned there are at least two tiles with channels missing, this will leak
Possibly the foam filler has been removed , This should have been cut to the underside profile of the tile. But the i guess birds need homes too.
Tell them you want it done professionally ..its cr*p

thank you all for comments and suggestions.
problem is that they dont allow people on site, eventhough the house is finished (supposedly) and is on final stretch now.

they werent happy when i told them ive been on site and saw the roofing issue, thats when site manager said they build lots of these homes in the same way and their tecnician said its fine.

am thinking if even getting professional snagging company in .... in case i miss other stuff .... that made them really annoyed, but said they can only come in after completion.

they are such "b" word

thank you all for comments and suggestions.
problem is that they dont allow people on site, eventhough the house is finished (supposedly) and is on final stretch now.

they werent happy when i told them ive been on site and saw the roofing issue, thats when site manager said they build lots of these homes in the same way and their tecnician said its fine.

am thinking if even getting professional snagging company in .... in case i miss other stuff .... that made them really annoyed, but said they can only come in after completion.

they are such "b" word

Send the photos to both the window manufacturer and Marley asking if they would guarantee the job, then send the response to the house builder.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back