is this normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helo.... I am hoping somebody might know if my boiler is behaving normally.
It is a glow worm ultracom 30 cxi and was fitted as a new complete central heating system ten weeks ago and i have only just needed to use the heating which does work but it seems when heating is on the pump runs just about all the time even when the burner? is not on.When the flame symbol is not on display the pump runs and clicks off for a couple of seconds before running again. I wonder why the pump is running without pumping around the radiators.....many thanks for any replies....regards Alan

Sponsored Links
When the boiler has produce enough heat to satisfy the internal stat, the pump keeps running to "cool" the boiler until the boilerstat activates and turns the burner back on. If the pump did not continue, it would take much longer for the house to warm up.

When the boiler has produce enough heat to satisfy the internal stat, the pump keeps running to "cool" the boiler until the boilerstat activates and turns the burner back on. If the pump did not continue, it would take much longer for the house to warm up.

Thankyou...shame it isnt a silent pump being so close to my lounge but i suppose they dont exist. I will keep turning it off if i need some peace and quiet...many thanks regards Alan

You shouldn't hear the pump, and certainly not outside the room it is in.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't hear the pump, and certainly not outside the room it is in.

I can hear it in the next room...thats how i noticed it runs all the time. The noise isnt a real problem because i have the tv on and my pc makes enough noise. I cant seem to find out the electric consumption of the pump though...money wasted on electric would bother me more than the noise but i presume its low wattage being an efficient boiler.

As the pump needs to run, it is not wasted
I take it then if the pump is spinning its allways circulating round the radiators that have the trv`s open. I only have 2 out of 5 rads in use while the upstairs is being renovated and am sleeping downstairs till upstairs is finished. Regards Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back