Is this notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I want to replace a bedroom ceiling light with a DC led light, is it notifiable work?
I can access the wire in the loft and fit the inline transformer, then screw it to the joist.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I got it for free and it costs almost £300, hence I can't be picky.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
And being DC... No flicker.

assuming it stands for direct current.

Yes, direct current 12V.
Any recommendations for a transformer?
Or are all brands the same?

Can you have an AC LED?
The actual LED element will only operate with current in one direction. You can certainly put a pair of LED elements in inverse paralell though to get light on both half-cycles.

Can you have an AC LED?
It depends what you mean. You can certainly connect an LED to an AC source (via some sort of current-limiting mechanism), in which case it will conduct, and generate light, during every other half cycle of the AC (i.e. 'will flicker').

However, if you want to correct some people's use of "LED" to mean "LED lamp/bulb", then you probably need to do so more explicitly - since many of 'the people' who do that probably would not realise that they were being 'corrected' by the comment/question you posed :)

Kind Regards, John

It says "• Minimum dimming load 35W " Which may be too high. Its also not clear to me whether that outputs AC or DC.

You need to check the instructions as to whether the light is constant current or constant voltage. If it says 12V then constant voltage so search Ebay for" LED driver" rather than "transformer".

If you want Dimmable you will have to use a special LED dimmer. Varilight are a good brand.

It says "• Minimum dimming load 35W " Which may be too high. Its also not clear to me whether that outputs AC or DC.

You need to check the instructions as to whether the light is constant current or constant voltage. If it says 12V then constant voltage so search Ebay for" LED driver" rather than "transformer".

If you want Dimmable you will have to use a special LED dimmer. Varilight are a good brand.
Don't need dimmable, in fact, I don't want it.
That was the first transformer that came up in the search.
So it gets more complicated.
Not a transformer but a driver.
Constant current, constant voltage???
I always thought that a transformer transforms AC to DC (so from house socket electricity to battery-like electricity) and the output is marked on the transformer itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back