is this oil too cheap?

Never had the pleasure - or a Harley for that matter, not my sort of bike.
That drive sprocket is a much bigger diameter than I would have expected, I guess that gives a lower belt speed. Is the belt changed by mileage? i can’t see a tensioner either, presumably the rear wheel has eccentrics.
John :)

Sponsored Links
A lot of these huge twins have a drive belt instead of a chain.....how good or reliable they are Ive no idea.
No lubing though, and quiet.

Never had the pleasure - or a Harley for that matter, not my sort of bike.
That drive sprocket is a much bigger diameter than I would have expected, I guess that gives a lower belt speed. Is the belt changed by mileage? i can’t see a tensioner either, presumably the rear wheel has eccentrics.

Most Harleys have an a adjustment like a "normal" chain driven bike with two adjusters on the swingarm to move the spindle.

The Buell XB 12 S has no adjustment believe it or not!, there's an idler pulley but no means of tensioning the belt.

The rear wheel spindle has a wasted middle and tapered ends, it tensions the belt as the spindle is wound in to make wheel removal easier but always ends up centred.

This is a 2008 bike and the belt that came off was the factory fitted one, they are a "lifetime" belt, inspected at service for crack etc but no scheduled replacement. £260+ Vat for a new one.

I've seen Harley's at 40,000+ miles on original belts!.

Sponsored Links
I know its unlikely, but Ive always wondered what would happen if a stone got caught in the belt :eek:

I know its unlikely, but Ive always wondered what would happen if a stone got caught in the belt :eek:

I have replaced one Harley belt due to stone damage, the pulleys survived and the belt did it's job, the stone was still in it when we replaced it.

Luckily (if you can call it that) it was bang on in the middle of the belt.

To be fair I've only seen one stone damaged belt but we're not Harley dealers.

Sponsored Links
Back