is this oil too cheap?

Hello, ive looked online at National tyres and the oil for my car is £47 supply and fit and filter included.
Its Lukoil genesis special VN 5W-30
Any thoughts on this?

Lukoil genesis special VN 5W-30 is listed on ebay for £57 if that's anything to go by?

Its in the price range of Motul and Liqui Molly. I wouldn't pay that for 5L of oil but if that's what they're using at National and the total, inc labour is £47, a good deal I suppose.

I'd be inclined to ask what brand of filter they're using.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Got a bit of an update. Turns out a neighbour used National and has the same oil in his car for quite a few thousand miles. As im about to pay out for a cambelt and all the trimmings I need the car to last, so perhaps not worth a risk. But as he hasn't noticed anything with his maybe the stuff is ok?

Also its £47 for oil change and about a tenner more for intermediate service!

Sponsored Links
The Gates kits come with new tensioners and a water pump if needed - all excellent quality. Pop a new alternator belt on too.
John :)

Gates are excellent belts.

We fit genuine Ducati timing belts, from Italy. The Ducati branded belt is made by Gates in the UK, you couldn't make it up!.

I’ve done a couple of Monsters.....1200 and 900cc I think.
Probably the shortest timing belt interval in the world! For sure, I don’t know what the fuss is about these bikes, truly horrible to ride and the 1200 shook itself to bits on the way to the MOT, losing a mirror and a pillion footrest :LOL:
The 900 shook its oil filter loose on another ride, the oil spewed onto the back tyre which gave some entertainment :eek:

I’ve done a couple of Monsters.....1200 and 900cc I think.
Probably the shortest timing belt interval in the world! For sure, I don’t know what the fuss is about these bikes, truly horrible to ride and the 1200 shook itself to bits on the way to the MOT, losing a mirror and a pillion footrest :LOL:
The 900 shook its oil filter loose on another ride, the oil spewed onto the back tyre which gave some entertainment :eek:

Yep every 2 years on the belts, madness!.

Just on with a 999 at work, a service is just about all the bike to bits!.
20191127_155146.jpg
20191128_091534.jpg

Ye gods, what a nightmare!
The Monsters are the only Dukes I’ve ridden, my 1200 Honda VFR would have it screwed speed wise and for comfort.....at around the ton the Duke was all over the place.
So, we now have a KTM 1100 (orange and blue thing) in with a wiring fault.....yank the bars to the right and the ignition comes on (no key) and often stalls in traffic, but if you put the prop stand down it starts to behave :confused: Great! Sounds like a new loom to me.
Keith, Car Mechanics mag December issue is especially for you and the DSG gearbox.....maybe you should have written it!
Regards

Got my my cars flat tyre fixed in Kwik fit once for free, they didn't even try to sell me new brakes, suspension, tyres, exhaust, re-gas the aircon, do a winter check (it was summer) Nothing at all :eek:

Unbelievable EddieM
Are you sure you had not fallen into an alternative universe.... Did the door to the Quick-fit look like an old blue Victorian police box by any chance?

Ye gods, what a nightmare!
The Monsters are the only Dukes I’ve ridden, my 1200 Honda VFR would have it screwed speed wise and for comfort.....at around the ton the Duke was all over the place.
So, we now have a KTM 1100 (orange and blue thing) in with a wiring fault.....yank the bars to the right and the ignition comes on (no key) and often stalls in traffic, but if you put the prop stand down it starts to behave :confused: Great! Sounds like a new loom to me.
Keith, Car Mechanics mag December issue is especially for you and the DSG gearbox.....maybe you should have written it!
Regards

I've done a few KTMs, the crimps inside the wiring loom a prone to corrode and cause all sorts of bother, lovely!.

Had a Buell in today, service/ tyres and drivebelt, something a bit different!.

20191206_115013.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back