Is this OK? Service bypass for radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am remodelling a room in my house that has baseboard radiators. I have removed them, and am replacing them with wall-mounted radiators of what I think is the right BTU rating (more on that later) but what I am wondering is this:

The system is piped primary/secondary. The secondary consists of three zones, all in their own monoflow loop. Zone one is the off-boiler water heater. Zone two is the upstairs zone, zone three is the zone I am replacing some of the baseboard rads in.

This zone three was all monoflow baseboard - just one pipe from the circulator through all the baseboard in one loop.

The part of the baseboard I am replacing with rads I will (correct me if wrong) pipe with a monoflow tee branching off into the rad, the return comes back to a regular tee. In other words, a bog-standard parallel loop with monoflow tee on the input.

What I am wondering about is this: If I were to put full-port ball valves on the send and return portions after the tees, and *another* parallel pipe between them with a ball valve in the middle, I would then have a service loop, right? In other words, with the send/return valves open and the loop valve closed, the rad functions as normal, but with the send/return closed and the loop open, it would bypass the radiator with a pipe to return full flow from the monoflow tee input.

Make sense? Or is there a reason that this would interfere with proper flow somehow?

Thanks in advance,

-John

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
This is a UK based forum and we do things differently on this side of the Pond!

May I suggest you post your question on Heating Help, which is a USA based forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back