Is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i have a computer, printer, monitor and loads of other stuff on one desk.
The power for all these comes from one double socket, from MK. The socket has 2 13a extension leads connected. is this ok or can the socket only take 13a max. It is on the upstairs ring. There are 6 other sockets on the ring.
2 with 0amp (but ocasionally with 13a on one) , 3 with 3amp and 1 with 13amp. The MCB is rated at 32A. Plese tell me if this is ok. :D :) :confused: :(

Sponsored Links
13 amps is around 2990 watts so you should be ok unless you've got a few kettles plugged in at your desk.

A double socket is only rated at 13A in total. If you have lots of small appliances, you can connect them using a multi-way adaptor that plugs in. Since this is supplied via a 13A fuse in the plug you can be confident that it will not overload the socket. You ca get these multiways from computer and hifi stores, they are now available with large numbers of outlets.

A double socket that has two large appliances running from it at the same time will overheat.

so is it safe or not. i dont want to destroy my loveley computer (don't forget socket) also i the load in each is

Ex1: 5a, 5a and 3a
Ex2: 5a, 3a

Sponsored Links
I presume by 3A, 5A etc you are quoting the fuse sizes in the plugtops. Each item will be pulling less than that. My PC; printer and desk lamp are pulling just 142 watts or 0.6A although if I added up the fuse capacities in the plug tops that should be 20A.

As long as each item is correctly fused and all items are in good condition it is quite safe to run from adaptors and/or trailing leads or multiplugs. Your PC more at risk from voltage surges/spikes depending on your locality and supply.

A double socket is only rated at 13A in total. If you have lots of small appliances, you can connect them using a multi-way adaptor that plugs in. Since this is supplied via a 13A fuse in the plug you can be confident that it will not overload the socket. You ca get these multiways from computer and hifi stores, they are now available with large numbers of outlets.

A double socket that has two large appliances running from it at the same time will overheat.
In fact the fuse in a plugtop BS1362 are the same classification as a rewireable fuse they are open ceramic sleeves with wire inside with two endcaps pushed on not hermetically sealed.

The fuses can take up to 3 times their rating for 4 hours or more

The multiway sockets may have cable that isnt rated for this if so there is a good chance of the overload causing excessive heating and degredation of the cables insulation.

Having two multiways plugged into the double socket it is wrong to say you cant overload the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back