Is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket in my kitchen which is on an external wall. Am i able to take a spur from this to a 13A fused switch then have an outside double socket and a lightswitch for an outside led light coming from this?

If not what is the best way to do this?

Advice greatly appreciated

Ross

Sponsored Links
Sorry not enough information to answer.
1) Supply what size fuse/MCB feeds the existing socket.
2) What size cable feeds the existing socket.
3) What is the loop impedance at the existing socket.
4) If it has a 32A supply with 2.5mm² cable then is it part of a final ring or is it already a spur.

In the main sockets which are original fitting are part of a ring. However in my mothers house built 1952 they were proud to have 5 sockets they house they left only had two. Spurs from spurs and broken rings are common but also my daughters house was wired with a series of radial circuits with a 20A MCB to each. The ring is a problem as it is so easy to break a ring which results in overload. Personally I do a triple test first measure loop impedance then check the ring is intact then measure loop impedance when complete. OK can still be errors but if for example the loop impedance is 0.8Ω before you start and when your finished it's 1.2Ω you will know a wire has come off when replacing the socket.

You will also need to know if already RCD protected and of course that should also be tested once complete to ensure it trips within 40ms clearly too fast for a stop watch needs a special test kit. Also you should do an installation test with a 500 volt tester.

There are other methods to test you can use a special low ohm meter which uses at least 200ma and work out loop impedance with that.

I realise most DIY people do not test as they should. There are plug in cheap (£50) loop testers but they have go/no go lights so you can't check before starting if the loop impedance will allow extra sockets only after to see if it passes. An Electrical Installation Condition Report will likely give the information required to know if you can extend or not.

I think now in England you don't need to inform LABC but in Wales you do, not a clue about the other Countries.

1- 32A fuse
2- 2.5mm
3- Dont know
4- Part of a ring

It is also RCD protected.

The house is just under 3years old and i live in Scotland if that makes any difference to regulations etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back