Is this pipework normal?

Before I wrote this post I had been chasing him for two weeks to come and finish the job. He only got back to me yesterday, so I'm guessing that his livlihood doesn't depend too much on this job.

I contacted him again today and asked him to finish the job to our satisfaction so we could settle the bill. He declined and advised us to use the money owed to get someone in to fix it. He knows that he's messed this up.

There are certain standards that are expected in any job, to say that he's done what was asked and deserves to be paid is ridiculous. If a painter and decorator painted your house and left big streaks all over you would expect it to be rectified before you paid them.

You didn't state in your op that you had been chasing him for a few weeks or that he had said he was happy to let you get someone else in.

If you've given him fair chance to rectify and he hasn't bothered then you are right to seek help from elsewhere.

We can only comment on what you write.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for not giving a back story, I didn't deem it necessary as was simply seeking a second opinion on what I thought was dodgy pipework. The issue wasn't him not coming back to rectify it as we've had to be patient with him in the past, the issue was the quality of the workmanship.

they could install it any way they want as long as it meets the statutory requirements and guidance documents.

What NVQ would you expect to gain with a standard of work like that?

I contacted him again today and asked him to finish the job to our satisfaction so we could settle the bill. He declined and advised us to use the money owed to get someone in to fix it. He knows that he's messed this up.

Case closed.

In fairness it isn't the neatest work, and I wouldn't be happy with it but I would have made that clear and what I expected from the start if it functions, does its job as intended and as per the agreement they deserve to be paid, if you'd like it changed for something else they're entitled to charge you again. Unless your specification said, no compression, pulled from the wall, they could install it any way they want as long as it meets the statutory requirements and guidance documents. If I was the installer I'd take you to court and they'd win its all about documentation, and if it says to install a radiator that's what they've done.

One does not expect to have to ask for the work to be done properly. If a phnter started down that line, most proper tradesmen would not bother quoting. It is a disgrace, frankly (the work).

That said, do not engage someone without discussing it first. ,(TBF, I have not read all the posts)

To keep him sweet, if he wants to come back, you may wish to buy a bale of hay.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah. I don't know much about plumbing but I thought for sure there must have been a better way to do it! Luckily we haven't paid him yet!

The pipes seem 10mm I think? Is that too small? The radiator is only actually getting luke warm so might this be the reason why?

Thanks for your feedback btw :)

I wouldn't pay him either unless his charge is £10

If he is a plumber, he's not a very good one.

Unfortunately I see this standard of shabby work far to often now..

It's these train to be a plumber in 3 weeks and earn £40000 per year.

Shocking

Are the pipes bent or is it my eyes o_O

What do they call that funky retro style.

Oh thats it : steampunk.

Out of curiosity, what was the price agreed for this particular "plumbing" job and what 'other' works has the chap done for you in the past?

Sponsored Links
Back