Is this possible?

S

steviez

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct section to post in but i dont know where else to post :)

My question is this: Is it at all possible to become a electrical tester (get my test and inspection) without becoming a fully qualified sparky?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Depends what you mean.

If you want to pass the 2391, then it is probably possible with one of those intensive courses, but certainly not easy.

However this won't mean you can go and start doing PIRs and so on, since a significant element of those is the years of knowedge and experience, which you simply can't get from a short course.
If you want to be inspecting and testing work which was installed by others, your knowledge must be at least equal to theirs, and preferably significantly better.

It's should be all about progression through the levels1-3
I doubt any training centres/colleges that have a decent reputation, would allow you to take an Inspection and Testing course (2391/2392)
Without already having progressed to a satisfactory level.
Which I would say would be at Level 3.
It would be extremely hard to be able to complete a course successfully without prior knowledge of electrical installation such as given by the 2330 courses.

friend at work had to sit an exam before they even let him on the course..

they set the 50 or so applicants a 1 hour test to see what they already knew ( regs wise and so on ) and only accepted the top 30.. and then only as long as they got at least 50% in the test..

Sponsored Links
Is it at all possible to become a electrical tester (get my test and inspection) without becoming a fully qualified sparky?

It depends what your background is, for example an electronics engineer on a maintaince team working alongside sparks etc, and duties cross over a bit etc... then yes its possible that they could become a test engineer.

But someone who is from another industry who wants to get into the electro-technical sector... then I'm afriad not, I don't beleive its possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back