Is this possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a towel rail in the bathroom, but quickly realising that I wont get the heat output from a rail, that I currently get from my 600x600 double convector rad.

Is it possible to retain a radiator here, and instead of the blank and bleed valve in the top corners, fit pipework to a towel rail which I would fit above? Not saying I'd actually end up doing this, but it seems like a "best of both" without taking the boards up to extend pipework etc, and a towel rail would be mounted higher, regardless of whether theres a rad underneath.

One downside I could envisage is poor circulation round the towel rail, though natural convection currents in the radiator should force the hot water upwards.

I have seen two towel rails in "series" before. But will it work in parallel? ;)

Sponsored Links
Someone did exactly that recently.
173000_172229_38880_42479465_thumb.jpg

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2092648#2092648

I always suggest the simple towel rails designed to be fitted above rads!

The arrangement in the picture will work though however it looks but is an expensive solution.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. The radiator that is there at the moment is leaking, so needs to be replaced. But any kind of towel rail replacement will involve repiping in some form. The pipes emerge from the tiled floor exactly set for a 600 radiator. If I get straight valves on a 600 rail, I'll need to dog-leg the piping, if I get angled valves, I dont know if they'll fit - I'd have to get a 450mm wide rail.

That rail-above-rad combo looks neat, except for the dog-leg bends, which are inevitable.

Herts, I was planning to get a Screwfix rail (which they always have on half price), which are generally about 600w x 1000h. Though that ebay seller brings larger rails into my budget. Have you used them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back