Is this Possible?

The reason I think 1300 ex VAT for an install/replace is a bit steep is that I've had 3 new boilers fitted [in Holland] in the last couple of years which took around 5 hours max each. The company doing this London job were asking 70 quid an hour which I commented to my housemate who arranged it seemed cheap. But 1300 ex VAT for 5 hours work would be 260 per hour.

Emergency rates differ to "normal" rates. If you need a plumber/GSR engineer for an hour in London, don't be surprised if you pay upwards of £150/hour. That doesn't mean that the going rate is £1200/day in non-emergency situations. You can do a quick search for my previous post to see what I found the going rate was near me, but others on here disagreed. Best thing to do, as said already by another member, is ring 3 different people for quotes and this will get you in the right ballpark to see if anyone is charging an extortionate amount.

And OP - you have come onto a forum complaining about the price you are being quoted by a GSR engineer. This forum is frequented by GSR engineers. They're hardly going to talk down their own trade and say you're being overquoted. I can understand why they get frustrated when people try to negotiate or barter down the price, but that's consumerism for you. If you don't agree with it, probably better not to offer your services to the public - it's unlikely you'll ever get consumers to pay a price without questioning what it is comprised of.

Sponsored Links
And OP - you have come onto a forum complaining about the price you are being quoted by a GSR engineer. This forum is frequented by GSR engineers. They're hardly going to talk down their own trade and say you're being overquoted. I can understand why they get frustrated when people try to negotiate or barter down the price, but that's consumerism for you.

Actually, I came on asking for responses on a technical question - "is this possible", see OP for the question.

I was wondering whether something else was going on and added a VERY MILD suggestion of a high quote as a reason that's a possible prefixed with:
"In support of something else going on:"

I was already before posting sort of aware that I didn't want to upset people I was asking help from. Am beyond that now.

Seems I touched a raw nerve with respect to pricing/rates. However, my OP was **not** about price, it was a technical question which remains unanswered.

My impression is that the original company [and it WAS a company employing a gassafe engineer and probably not paying them enough etcetc, do you guys not have a union?]
a. sorted the wrong fan and then decided to pass a bill for 2 hours time @ 70 p.h. on to us.
b. IFF [if and only if] that is true: would be considered complete and utter rip off merchants in any decent honourable trade frequented by the decent honourable people who I still in a deluded old-fashioned sort a way see as my fellow Brits.
c. having got away with their first scam decided they'd try a quote that is somewhat higher than a mean since hell yeah if the suckers paid once they'll pay again
d. IFF all that is true: is a company which decent honourable trades people would want to denounce because they give the whole trade a bad name.

I am left wondering
1. whether there are people here competent to answer the original question [the one NOT about price]
2. whether I can be bothered starting a small claims process [search for moneyclaim online for anyone who has a similar problem] against them to get my money back or even just create stress, hassle and negatives in a karmic way to push negatives and hasten the elimination of a undesirable as a believer in a better world.

I am relaxed [and in a hot flat since several weeks] about it but hey ... ya wonder ya know,

There are a few good people on this board as well as "others" but some of the good guys have let me know in private they do not dare post here. That's a shame.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back