Is this possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

So I made the mistake of removing a wooden doorframe and it turns out there are lapped joists above and no lintel. This is an internal block wall.

Question: I would love to open up and expand the entryway completely, back to the exterior wall, BUT I don't want to call in a structural engineer if this isn't possible. I have added diagrams containing all the details of what I am looking to do. All you knowledgeable people on here? Could a beam be hung on the external wall?

fyi: a concrete lintel with bearings at each end would barely do anything in the way enlarging the doorway hence why I am asking whether all the way back is possible.

It's also weird to me how so many lapped joists were being supported by just a wooden frame.

Sponsored Links
It's possible and is a fairly straightforward job. You just need a beam of some description. You also need to ensure that exposing the stairs to the living room you do not contravene fire regulations.

It's possible and is a fairly straightforward job. You just need a beam of some description. You also need to ensure that exposing the stairs to the living room you do not contravene fire regulations.
oh okay! That makes me feel a lot more confident moving forward with this!

Is there anything wrong with 'detaching' an internal wall that was previously attached/butt-joint to the external wall? (in terms of stbility)

Sponsored Links
oh okay! That makes me feel a lot more confident moving forward with this!

Is there anything wrong with 'detaching' an internal wall that was previously attached/butt-joint to the external wall? (in terms of stbility)
You'd need to provide a complete floor plan to answer that 100% accurately. But, you are actually removing a door frame, which is providing zero buttressing, so probably not in this case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back