Is this right- New flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having some roof work done......I am not a roofer but to me it doenst look quite right.

Any advise would be really appreciated .

IMG-20140804-WA0002.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMG-20140804-WA0003.jpg
[/URL][/img]

The builder has said there will be stone on at the end of the job.

If this is Normal then i guess that's good but to me it doesn't look quite right

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Old fashioned 3 layer and chippings. The kerb for the roof light should be 150 mm high with felt to top. Yours looks about 100 mm. Not correct.

Thanks for the reply, that's the system ......chips are to go on, it just looks to me a little like water will be trapped by the bitumin, is this finish normal ?

I measured the upstand and it is 100 mm at the at the back and 14 mm at the front, this is due to the firrings I assume. Is this still no good, he said something about putting lead around it, would this suffice ?

I didn't mind it being an old style felt roof as it was only supposed to last until we can afford to add a second story. Say 3-5 years.

I measured the upstand and it is 100 mm at the at the back and 14 mm at the front, this is due to the firrings I assume. Is this still no good, he said something about putting lead around it, would this suffice ?

I didn't mind it being an old style felt roof as it was only supposed to last until we can afford to add a second story. Say 3-5 years.
14mm!!! Jeez what a Donut, should be 150mm all round.

There's nothing wrong with this system, if done right it will last 20odd years.

Sponsored Links
Sorry 140mm dam the smartphone :).....and me for not checking .

I have had a good look and it looks a very average job at best, its just not nice on the eye, but my main concern is it being waterproof.

If the light hole was leaded wouldn't be OK at 100mm ?

You won't see it once the chippings are on, so what does it matter? Might be worth getting the hose pipe on it though, to be sure. ;)

Good idea deluks, I will try that.

My main concern was the the bitumen looked as if it will trap the water on the roof.

The bitumen is of no consequence, it doesn't look like there are great blobs of it anywhere, unless I'm not looking close enough. You sure there isn't a final cap sheet to go on anyway? With chippings on top, water will find its way!

no cap sheet, skylight is being fitted now.............!!!!

I will chat to builder later, he was gone as were roofers by the time i was home,

How many layers should there be, should the base be fitted with clout nails as i found an empty box of them.....?

Light kerb should be 150 mm high as a minimum. Where's the insulation? Under the deck? Has he vented the soffit? Clout nails would of been to put the drips up.

It should of had a venting layer (3G) and 2 underlay if bonded straight to the deck.

Its a warm deck system using 126mm celotex with the integrated ply.

I'm hoping that means no venting ? The sofits have not been fitted yet. Today all the bits where it meets the wall were leaded ,

Freddy - I will post some later when I get home, it looks very neat to me.

Its been cut nicely and fitted with small V shaped springs and then what looks like lead coloured silicon sealed in the gap.

It rained here quite hard last night and no leaks this morning .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back