Will this flat roof support a roof terrace?

lig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a flat roof and are interested in erecting a wooden roof terrace. I am not sure whether the roof would support such a structure, perhaps someone could advise me, based on the photos below, or do I need to employ a structural engineer?

There is a watertank on part of the roof, so I would assume there is a reasonable level of structural support.

Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/fudgephoto/image/44559791

http://www.pbase.com/fudgephoto/image/44559769

Sponsored Links
Pop down to your BCO and ask to see your drawing plan which will have the details of the size of your roof joists.

Hi

Sorry to muscle in on your question but maybe it will be of benefit to you too.
I am interested in doing the same thing and being able to walk out of my upstairs bedroom on to the terrace, however I don't think there are any drawings for my extension as the extension was put in by a previous owner and I don't think the council were informed because it caused problems when I bought the place.

So I too would probably have to find out my timber sizes, but by exposing them I suppose? Would most councils not require that you put steel beams in the roof, if you are going to have potentially several people walking on it at any given time?

Sponsored Links
i would be surprised if it wouldnt support it, but if the worst comes to worst, you could anchor a wall plate to the walls and span joists off of them across it so the walls and not the roof take the weight

I have finally made it to the local council and these are the dimensions for the roof (direct quote from the plans):

Roof of: 2 layers of asphalte on sheathing felt on T&G boarding on firring pieces to falls on 6'' x 2'' joists @ 15c/c.

Thanks for any advice

lig said:
I have finally made it to the local council and these are the dimensions for the roof (direct quote from the plans):

Roof of: 2 layers of asphalte on sheathing felt on T&G boarding on firring pieces to falls on 6'' x 2'' joists @ 15c/c.

Thanks for any advice

i take it you have been to the council and seen the plans for the roof which shows 6"x 2" joists @ 400mm c/c- yes?

(bear in mind that the plans may not accurately portray the size of joist used on site to build the roof as builders often decide to do it a different way to what has been designed)

only way to really know is to form a small hole and measure them.

you will also need to measure the span of the joists (which way do they span? again drawing may not reflect what has been built)

Due to the water tank (need to know the laden weight to decide the joist sizes) it is likely that double or treble timbers have been used in key locations.

its not simple this decking lark eh? ;)

It is quite likely you will need planning permission as well as Building Regs for such things as access, escape, handrails etc.

Judging by the height of the building and number of aerials I assume it is divided into flats, you will need to consult the freeholder as well.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back