Roof terrace with a shed on top, is it safe? Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering whether it would be safe for me to erect a 6 x 3ft shed onto my 13 x 8ft roof terrace to hold fabric/threads/tools etc.

Under my roof terrace is my downstairs neighbours bedroom. The property is a converted Victorian terrace and judging by my next door neighbours place (which hasnt been converted), my now flat roof terrace would have once been a gradual sloped roof, and possibly my downstairs neighbours bedroom would have been the original kitchen.. As I am not a builder I am wondering whether there would be rsj's under my terrace?

Also would anyone know which would be the best / lightest weight shed for me to buy in a 6 x 3ft size.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Tricky one. No one here can possible know what your roof is made of, even an on-site visit would require a bit of poking about. How deep does the roof look? It will probably be timber joists holding everything up, how deep they are determines how much weight you can put up there.

When you say terrace, do you mean that the roof has been converted for use an an outdoor area?

...If not, the roof covering might get damaged if you walk about on it too much, so some decking tiles or paving slabs might be sensible to create a path to the shed door

In any case if it has been properly converted for people to walk about and use it, a shed shouldn't pose any real problem at all.

A metal shed would probably be lighter than a timber one. The only problem with a shed on a roof is that it could blow away. And any cheap (light) timber jobbie would fall apart in a breeze.

I'd recommend bolting it to some paving slabs or a couple of timber sleepers to keep it held down.

This would do it , although condensation can be an issue in metal sheds, so some sheets of insulation lining the inside, plus a few vent holes would be wise.

You wont have a problem as long as there is some means to prevent the roof felt being punctured. Google for ' promenade tiles ' or you could lay an improvised surface from decking boards - but allow space under them for drainage

Your biggest problem will be preventing the shed from blowing away. Winds gust more as you go higher, and a shed (or parts of it) could easily take off.

Sponsored Links
if your talking 1st or second floor you may need permision from not only the council but the person whose roof you are on[flying freehold]!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back