Is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I want to build a pergola that will be connected to the house. I can make a wall plate from timber, is this the best way to do it?

I don't want to use a joist hanger as they are ugly.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Structurally it should be sound, but the joint will be susceptible to trapping water.

If you are using treated timber this will be 2x as bad, as you will expose untreated timber as you cut and notch it.

Its a bit dodgy notching the joist that much

Why can't it just sit on a timber or cleat without notching?

As "tragic" Whitney Houston would have said, "It's not right, but it's OK..." :rolleyes:

Notches make the timber more susceptible to shearing at the notch, but as it's only a pergola it should be OK...as long as you don't get people jumping up and hanging from the joist near the joint.

As Woody said, it's better to rest the timbers on a single, full length timber securely bolted to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Thank you gents. I was going to notch it as I thought it may look better but I think I will rest it on a single piece of timber as you suggest - less work for me also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back