Is this rusty rad tail a cause for concern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, simple question really, about 5 years ago I replaced 9 radiators in our house. This one pictured below is situated in the sitting room and I’ve just noticed some corrosion where the rad meets the valve. There are no signs of a leak. Another rad upstairs has the paint starting to flake and some corrosion appearing in the same location but not nearly to the same extent. Should I be concerned?

full

Sponsored Links
Obviously it isn't very pretty, but the boss the tail screws into is strong enough.....maybe it's had a weep at some time, and all radiator paintwork isn't well primed.
It's far more likely to leak at the crimped edges on the bottom.
John :)

Do you think that in a couple of months, when my CH will be off for the following 4 months, I should remove the rad, remove the tail screw, clean it and and re-fit it with ample PFTE this time before re-assembling the whole thing with new olives? It would also give me a chance the drain the system and refill with inhibitor.

Wire brush and some white hammerite. The paint probably flaked when the plugs were removed and they have surface rusted over time. If the joints are dry then no need to re-make, check them when the system is cold.

Sponsored Links
The amount of rust is minute, no significant flaking, no moisture on the floor, many rads are similar. In the nicest possible way, find something worth worrying about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back