Is this safe and legal?

Hairdryer and toaster good example and a good example of why RCD protection is essential in a domestic property. :D

Sponsored Links
When the fuse covers missing on these Wylex units there is plenty of accessible live parts with a small object imagine a curious child with a paperclip.
Like a hairdryer or toaster, for example?

I don't see how this installation is any more dangerous than a regular consumer unit where cable strain can create a small gap between breakers. In this instance, all the CPDs are in place and it does not appear that the front IP rating has been breached.

Cables shouldn't be under strain. Anyway on a modern board the gap between breakers will expose only the mounting rail, the bus-bars will be lower down than the cover cutout and have an internal cover anyway.

Cables shouldn't be under strain. Anyway on a modern board the gap between breakers will expose only the mounting rail, the bus-bars will be lower down than the cover cutout and have an internal cover anyway.
All true but, rightly or wrongly, the regs only require IP2X on the front of an enclosure.

Kind Regards, John

Like a hairdryer or toaster, for example?
Toasters are 'interesting'! With hairdryers, there's usually at least a grill or somesuch which makes them at least IP2X. However, as for toasters, I'm not sure I can remember one in which I couldn't touch the (presumably bare wire?) element with my finger if I were so inclined.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I carried out an EICR last year on a 2 bedroom quasi house the consumer unit was a 3 way Wylex with BS 3036 fuses and no RCD.
All tested out good and I gave a satisfactory outcome advising the landlord that a new CU with RCD protection would be a good idea, still not been done !
There was no real garden so I thought that there would be no socket outlet expected to supply equipment used outside so I gave the lack of RCD a C3 code.

Forgot to add the CU had the fuse cover fitted ! I now save the fuse covers off Wylex units just in case.

Hairdryer and toaster good example and a good example of why RCD protection is essential in a domestic property. :D
Alternatively they are good examples of why people should think about WTF they are doing, and closely supervise those who are not capable of such thinking.

Toasters are 'interesting'!
So are knife blocks.

However, as for toasters, I'm not sure I can remember one in which I couldn't touch the (presumably bare wire?) element with my finger if I were so inclined.
Next to my toaster is a knife block containing, inter alia, a cleaver with which I could sever the fingers from one hand with a single blow if I were so inclined.

Your point is?

Your point is?
My point .... that if toasters were part of the electrical installation, they would have to comply with IP4X on the upper surface. As they are, my finger can enter a hole in the top and touch the (I presume live) element - hence not even IP2X.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back