Is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on this:

This is a new installation of gas, water & central heating pipes, and electric cables. The gas pipe is the 22mm one to the left, water & central heating are underneath, and ring main, lighting & main feed to consumer unit cables, are underneath that. Perhaps I'm being over cautious, but having gas, water and electricity in such close proximity is surely not right, especially considering the way the pipes have been done. Are there any regulations that cover this or is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I'm being over cautious, but having gas, water and electricity in such close proximity is surely not right
Hundreds of thousands of gas boilers up and down the land.

;)

But honestly, this picture could have been taken in any one of thousands of poorly modifiied homes in this country. Its nothing extreme. It could do with tidying up, granted.

One thing I would point out is if any of those pipes are heating pipes, it could have an adverse effect on the PVC cables.

I'm also a little dubious about the use of brown/orange sub terranian waste pipe above ground, indoors.

In what capacity do you ask anyway?

Sorry for deviating off the electrics topic, but what exactly is wrong with brown 'subterranean' above ground :confused:

(Is it something to do with homesick blues ;) )

Sorry for deviating off the electrics topic, but what exactly is wrong with brown 'subterranean' above ground :confused:

(Is it something to do with homesick blues ;) )

to answer your question SNM the grey is UV protected whereas the brown is not

matt

Sponsored Links
It's not a BS7671 regulation but the 17th ED OSG (p18) does note a separation of at least 25mm between gas installation pipes and electricity supply and distribution cables (BS6891:2005 clause 8.16.2).

BS6891-2005 8.16.2
Separation of installation pipework from other services.

Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows:
a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units;
b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables.

gas pipe should be sleeved through the wall, in this case mainly to provide protection from corrosion. i take it this is a wall between two internal compartments?

difficult to sleeve a pipe through a hole that big though. :LOL:

If the Gas pipe is in contact with the cables then it has to be wrapped with tape.

The gas pipe is not sleeved, or identified.

Underground soil pipe in the building :rolleyes:

I would have thought a sparkie would have mentioned clipping the cables, which I think is 17th :LOL:

Jobs looks like a DIY or Pole, whatever he ain't no tradesman.

Ihave often seen gas pipes like that one still placed in a sleeve where they go through the big hole in a wall.

Its totally pointless but it half meets the regulations.

The half it does not meet is that the sleeve is not sealed to the wall its passing through.

Tony

Thanks for all your comments. To answer a few questions – the installation was done at my sister’s house a few months ago, in the roof space above an extension she was having built. The pipes lead into the bathroom, and connect up to the boiler and hot water tank that are there, inside a cupboard.

The first thing that struck me when I saw this, was how messy it looked. Considering the size of the bill, I’d have thought someone would have taken the time to cross the pipes over properly rather than just stack them up. The fact that it's such a jumble of pipework & cables is what made me question how safe it was.

None of the pipes has any sleeving and some do carry hot water – and yes, these are touching the cables. This job wasn’t done by a DIY or Pole, but by a Corgi registered plumber.

Whether this is a further concern I’m not sure, but no gas certificate has yet been issued for this work. When my sister contacted Corgi about it, it turned out they weren't aware of any gas work being done at her house and are now coming out to inspect it shortly.

the best way to fix this is stuff lagging in the hole and around the pipework then no one will see it.

its very rough workmanship and breaks lots of legislation both gas/building regs and electrical regs.

to be honest no one cares a hoot, all they want is your competence scheme money and very rarely come out to this kind of thing.

corgi may show a slight interest but that will end in march when capita take over and you wont be able to get hold of anyone then as its all automated..

the best thing to do when you have anyone in your house is check there work before you pay them. and always ask for a reference and possibly check there past work ..

bit late now the horse has bolted i am afraid . :(

I have to say, Moderator11 your comments here made me laugh out loud :D

It is a mess, which in itself is not a huge problem or immediately dangerous.

The real problem here is when it is this bad, you can be sure of two things.
You will get problems sooner or later and my money would be on sooner.
The installation does clearly not meet the regs and upon proper testing some things will be found unsafe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back