Is this Subsidence?

I am hopeful that your oaks are far enough away not to be causing the problems .A friend of mine has a bungalow ( part of their farm ) 1970 build and 2 oaks about 20 feet away on 2 sides. The building has broken it's back due to them ! Good luck with it, keep us posted here after the experts have looked.

Sponsored Links
It's the guttering that's been allowed to overflow for years that's caused the ground to soften and the foundations have sunk. That's lack of maintenance and I can't see the insurance companies being very helpful if that's the case. All it needed was a ten minute clean to let the water flow down into the drains. Bit late now though. May even need underpinning.

If the gutter is leaking and was the cause for sinking ground, then get it fixed before getting insurance company to look at the problem. I still hope it's the trees that are the fault as ours were. Nice to not have a garden full of leaves every year.

Sponsored Links
Rain water falling on clay cause the clay to expand creating heave to a building ( part of the building goes upwards ).

Subsidence is when clay that the foundations are sitting on shrinks due to removal of water.

Thats why I think it's the same problems we have had. An Oak tree can drink as much as 75,000 gallons of water from the ground, the roots go looking for water. Now we have had two similar Oak trees removed our house has risen back to normal.

Not if the clay becomes soft and the foundation sinks into it, like wellington boots in the garden.

I cannot believe the previous owner got the brickwork repointed in places without getting any serious leaks sorted in the guttering. Anyway will wait to see what transpires.

Surely it flagged up a 'serious requiring immediate attention' on the buyer's survey? Surely it was clear that the house was sagging in the middle? Why on earth wait another two years to sort it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back