Is this support OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother renovated this house about 20 years ago and took out a wall he claims was definitely not load bearing. Recently we had a bit of leak in the bathroom which resulted in a big chunk of plaster falling apart in the kitchen below and some new hairline cracks appearing in the plaster around this beam.

The timber seems to be in decent condition but the plaster cracks suggest that there's been a bit of movement and it does feel a bit like the floor slopes a tiny bit above there.

Do I need to replace it or can I just get it boxed in again?

The beam looks like it's actually 2 joists stuck together. Total dimensions are about 18cm x 10cm x 300cm

Attachments

• 20211129_115535 (2).jpg
    20211129_115535 (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20211129_115539.jpg
    20211129_115539.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20211129_115542.jpg
    20211129_115542.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20211129_115603.jpg
    20211129_115603.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20211129_115627.jpg
    20211129_115627.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe the leak was long time leaking becaause the beam looks like its got advanced wet rot.
The beam might have to be replaced?
In the last pic its not clear to me whats supporting what - did you remove two or more walls during the renovation?
You show various cracks but when did the cracks first appear?

If the beam has to be replaced then some propping will be needed and then the p/board wll have to be removed from the beam so you can see how the beam has been fixed up there.
You will have to remove some p/board even if your only attempting repairs.

edit.
I'd suspect that the floor above - the bathroom - has dropped a little.
Why not get a straight edge and a level and check how level the various beams are and how level is the flooring above.
Look for any gaps under skirting or slight unlevelness in door trim heads.

Last edited:
Maybe the leak was long time leaking becaause the beam looks like its got advanced wet rot.

There are some spots where I can get a butter knife in maybe 4-5mm which I guess means it's not survived totally unscathed. It might have been wet for quite a while. There is definitely some discoloration.

In the last pic its not clear to me whats supporting what - did you remove two or more walls during the renovation?

There's a post at one end of the long span that's stayed by a shorter span that anchors it to brick wall. I guess this it to help keep the post true.

You show various cracks but when did the cracks first appear?

Can't say for sure unfortunately.

why would he feel the need to install the timbers in the first place if the original wall was not load bearing?
If theres no load the state of the timbers is pretty irrelevant. assuming theres no sign of dry rot or woodworm reboard it and skim.

Sponsored Links
The whole house is a bit of a weird mash of DIY projects. He also made all the sash windows, kitchen cabinets and fitted wardrobes himself.

There would be a support structure under the floor if it was originally load bearing and I'm pretty sure there isn't one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back