Cracks in wall directly below where a support beam is rested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people just wanted some advice as I am about to exchange contracts on a house. When I visited the house today I noticed in the kitchen a couple of cracks in the wall which concern me. These cracks appear on 2 different walls directly below where the ends of a support beam is rested. It looks to an untrained eye these are stress cracks caused as the section of walls the beam is rested on are unable to support the weight. The cracks have a gap of approximately 1-2 mm and are about 9 inches long running down the wall. I noticed on one wall the cracks were more prominent and appear on both the inside and outside of the wall where there is a door directly below.

The seller assures me as the house is built on clay it is normal seasonal cracks which tend to open and close with the seasons. As this is an ex council house, it appears from the seller's explanation the support beam was installed when a load bearing wall was removed by council contractors 36 years ago when the council were renovating there housing stock in the area. He admitted the installation of the beam was a bit of a bodge job and mentioned something about having to pack the beams in himself when he moved in.

As a first time buyer I still have niggling doubts and can't decide how to proceed even though I know am probably being overcautious. The building survey or mortgage valuer did not express any concerns about the above, I'm inclined to believe as nothing has collapsed or failed since the beam was installed 36 years ago it's probably unlikely to now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Walk away - let your head rule over your heart !

Houses with structural problems that a seller states are OK should be avoided like the plague. Remember, he's trying to sell !

Surely your survey report has something to say on the subject.

Thanx for your reply. I was told as the Surveyor who conducted the Building Survey Report for this property missed this problem I could potentially sue this professional if remedial action is required after I purchased the property.

You could insist he pays for indemnity insurance which will cover you if the cracks get worse. I wouldn't walk away over something like this, it's not the end of the world to put right and may just be the result of settling. Ask your solicitor about indemnity insurance.

Sponsored Links
Thanx for your reply, from my basic understanding of indemnity insurance it would not insure me against the risk of the cracks getting worse or if the beam fails in the future. I'm sure indemnity insurance only covers house buyers against the risk of being pursued by the council or other authorities for building work conducted but building regulations approval or planning permission was never obtained. I could be wrong and will speak to the solicitor about it.

i would be suspicious of someone who knows how to pack a beam and that they didnt do it themselves.

i would get the surveyor back in to do his job properly or demand your money back and get someone else in. get a valuation for any repair work regarding the crack and see if you can get the amount knocked off the sale price or meet half way.

i hope indemnity insurance does what its supposed to as i have a policy to protect me against some unregulated work carried on my house by the previous owner..

i would be suspicious of someone who knows how to pack a beam and that they didnt do it themselves..

I would be suspicious of a customer who lives for the blame and claim culture also.
I was told as the Surveyor who conducted the Building Survey Report for this property missed this problem I could potentially sue this professional if remedial action is required after I purchased the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back