Is This Timber OK For Skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to create a length of skirting, I will have to make some rebates in it with a router to match the existing skirtings, it will be painted and completely out of sight in anycase, will this do? https://www.diy.com/departments/smo...r-l-2-4m-w-194mm-t-27mm-s4sw17/1798355_BQ.prd I'm well aware of the banana shaped timber typically available from the sheds but actually when I looked at this generally it seems pretty straight, nevertheless I always hunt throught the stack to find the best bits. I don't really care if I could save a few pounds going elsewhere I'm more interested if there's anything fundamentally wrong with this choice?

Sponsored Links
if its an odd size architrave planted on say 4x1" planed to give 6" [5 1/2--138mm]timber

Sponsored Links
It has to match the existing 25x175 skirting so I'll have to rip it down too but that's easy enough. It's more a question of is the chosen timber suitable, I don't see why not

since timber shrinks most tangentially, if you fixed the skirting so the growth rings on the end grain curve away from the wall, when the timber shrinks it will try to cup outwards in the middle and the top and bot will stay tight to the wall -if you get 2 good fixings in 1/3 and 2/3 if will stay flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back