Is tracing wire in loft too simple a way to find sw. live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my celiling light in the bathroom, and I'm able to trace the cable in the loft from my ceiling rose to the light switch (pull switch so it's wired at the ceiling), am I right in thinking that the black wire in this cable will be the switched live? There is a black, a red and a green wire in the cable, and there are no red sleeves on the black wire to clearly identify it, but that is very common from what I've read.

Going from the wiring diagrams on this site, It appears to me that this is indeed the switched live, but I've seen so much discussion on how to find it, by using a multimeter etc, this just seemed too easy and I've put doubt in my mind!

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you can see what cable goes to the switch then there is no need to bell it out with a multimeter. Often though this is not always possible, or is is more effort than simply belling it out

Thanks. Thought so, it just seemed a bit too simple!

The question normally arises because someone has disconnected all the wires from the ceiling rose without noting which went where - and there could be three, four, five each of reds and blacks (or browns and blues).

It doesn't really matter to you which is the switched live if you connect the new lamp (actual light bulb) to the same terminals as the present one.

Plus, of course, most lofts are stuffed full of insulation and thirty years of rubbish, sorry, family heirlooms.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter to you which is the switched live if you connect the new lamp (actual light bulb) to the same terminals as the present one.

I can't, I'm replacing the ceiling rose and pendant flex fitting (which only has neutral and live wires) for a fixed light fitting which is connected to the lighting circuit with choccy blocks. Incidentally, are 10 amp teminals high enough or should I go higher?

Cheers,
Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back