Is UK polyb pipe the same as the stuff CONDEMNED in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Polybutylene was condemned in the states because it flakes, leakes and splits.

Is our UK stuff the same as what has been condemned in the US?

Am I taking a risk using it? Anyone have any postive or negative stories?

Sponsored Links
Im talking specifically about polybutyene barrier pipe. For example the 15mm polyplumb like you get at Wickes that can be used instead of copper.

Sponsored Links
Polybutylene was condemned in the states because it flakes, leakes and splits.

Is our UK stuff the same as what has been condemned in the US?

Am I taking a risk using it? Anyone have any postive or negative stories?

Polybutylene was withdrawn from the US market because of adverse publicity. There was a big class action law suit. So far as I know, the problem was with defective joints and not with the PB pipe itself.

Plastic plumbing is either PEX or PB. I've used both and would use both again. ISTR that the PB can't be used for HWS circulation systems with chlorinated water; see installation instructions.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Its not PEX, its PB I'm talking about.

I want to run PB in my house, but I did some research and saw it was condemned in the USA.

Whats the difference with our PB that makes it not susceptible to the horror stories from the USA?

Hep2o is Polybutylene, and incidentally carries a 50-year warranty

Hep2o is Polybutylene, and incidentally carries a 50-year warranty

So is speedfit and polypipe, warranty means absolutely nothing.
plastic for diy'rs copper for pro's
:D copper for me first last and always. I used to think that with plastic if it froze it would thaw and you'd be ok because it would stretch and not split.....not anymore :D cases seen where copper ok plastic split !

Maybe the difference is our PB is barrier pipe - maybe the USA stuff didn't have resistance to oxygen?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Its not PEX, its PB I'm talking about.

I want to run PB in my house, but I did some research and saw it was condemned in the USA.

Whats the difference with our PB that makes it not susceptible to the horror stories from the USA?

Only use it where you can get to it if you need to, not where it becomes inaccessable. Where its inaccessable use copper.
Do yourself a favour and ignore any opinion contrary to this. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D even if you dont thank me now, youll thank me in years to come if you follow the advice :LOL: :LOL:
Ps mice like tha plastic too !

not where it becomes inaccessable

What do you recommend for UFH , cold mains supplies to properties and farm/livestock supply distribution networks etc etc?

Copper? :rolleyes:

wasnt the plastic pipe attacked in the early stages due them leaking.

then wasnt this found out to be the fitters not using inserts in the pipes?

or something like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back