Is using the switch as a junction considered good practice?

If you're having a standard 4 gang switch an experienced electrician will manage with a 25 mm box.

Sponsored Links
I'll certainly give it a go, but as RF Lighting pointed out I'm not sure I'ld describe myself as an experienced electrician.

Time to hit the bottle and forget about it for now.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Assume you mean hook up the commons. Image editted. Thanks
Does this mean the rest looks ok. Nothing I can do about where the cables run to and from, but can you see anything else in how I've wired the sockets?

Another reason that there are now often neutrals at the switch point is the fancy dimmers sometimes require them for back-lights etc.

I prefer this method, find it easier to work out! And if you need to add an extra switch to a box, you can just run one extra t&e in, and not have to try and get to the existing ceiling rose to get the neutral

Another reason that there are now often neutrals at the switch point is the fancy dimmers sometimes require them for back-lights etc.

Also if you decide to get fancy/lazy and fit remote controlled lighting then the module (switch/dimmer) requires a neutral.

All 25mm back boxes I'm affraid. Might have to hack the 4 switch out and replace the box, but a shame to mess up my new plastering. Think I'll get away with the others. cheers

Watch out for flat plate fittings. By having a flat plate the back side of it containing the terminals and switch mech, have more depth.

You have to be pretty neat to squeeze all of it in, the more depth the better. Proud fittings such as standard plastic switches will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back