Isar HE24 LF error - repair or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
Our good old Isar HE 24 combi boiler shows the LF error. Reset doesn't help, flame seems to not go on and it shows L/F flashing again.

We used to have this occasionally in the past, but resetting always helped (sometimes multiple attempts were needed, but worked quite quickly again). It was a little strange, it was like for 2-3 days, 1-2 times per day, but then nothing again (all working fine) for a year or so. But this time I can't get it going again.

I think the boiler is very old. When we bought the house 7 years ago (2016) the surveyor said it would need replacement soon, could be 10+ years old or so. We bought from an old lady who had lost all paperwork.

We have never had a proper servicing done because we thought it would break down soon anyway. However, it went on until today, so we saw no reason to replace it so far.

I have read about the LF error and it seems that it could be caused by a lot of different things, most/all of which are not DIY jobs. So potentially having a proper service and repair might be rather costly? This is our first property (always rented before), so I have no clue about the costs - if anyone has a ballpark figure, that would be great.

Or maybe take the opportunity and save on the couple of hundreds(?) for a service which may be unsuccessful in repairing, or the boiler may break down with another fault soon anyway, and instead go for a new one now? (*)

Any tips and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,
Andre

(*) PS: I have compared efficiency/gas consumption of the HE24 with current models like 2 years ago. Yes, modern boilers are more efficient, but the difference (at least on paper) is really not huge and would in my view not justify replacement in itself. So if a repair is reasonable, we'd be happy to go with that as well.

Sponsored Links
Could be various issues,not having it serviced will be one of the reasons.No one on here can guess at the price without looking at it.Ideal the makers may do a fixed price repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back