Isolating 25mm Cold Water Mains / Replacing pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to upgrade my 15mm Cold Water Mains pipework to 22mm. Under my sink where the stopcock is, it goes from the blue 25mm pipe (out of the concrete floor) through a 15mm stopcock and straight onto 15mm pipework.

2 Questions -

1) Do I need to replace the stopcock? With it being 15mm bore is it going to restrict my flow? I'm upgrading to a mains how water system so it's quite critical.

2) If I do have to replace, where is the next point of isolation? I can't see anywhere outside to isolate, it looks like it goes straight onto the street's mains...?

Sponsored Links
Just had a look at the end of our cul de sac and there's 2 stop cocks, so I'm guessing one of them turns off several or all of the 6 houses down our street. Think I'll get a plumber in, as I'm not being responsible for cocking the job up and nobody having water!

Sponsored Links
Made for it! if you look at the pic you'll see there's a gap between the top & bottom bar which leaves the exact space to stop the water but not damage the pipe. the only advice is to not clamp off in the same place more than once.

Made for it! if you look at the pic you'll see there's a gap between the top & bottom bar which leaves the exact space to stop the water but not damage the pipe. the only advice is to not clamp off in the same place more than once.

Thanks! I've only got about 10cm of pipe between the concrete floor and my stopcock, so I guess I'll only be doing it... once!

Official recommendations are to clamp more than 1 1/2 times the diameter of the pipe away from where you intend to joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back