isolating radiators for decorating purposes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed a radiator which is trv controlled, during this the low pressure warning light appeared on the boiler and i could not get hot water or switch the heating on. The trv was removed but i couldn't see where i could totally close off the valve. Its a terrier valve on a combi boiler system, i fudged my way around it and stopped water coming in but if i tried to increase the boiler pressure with the valve water flooded into the rad or my carpet depending on its connection at the time. Can anyone help me isolate the trv please?

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber or heating engineer

It maybe that your trv is deciding that it is too cold and wants to open up a bit. or it may be faulty and not close properly.

I have been to a house where the plumber removed a radiator with a trv, the room got cold the trv opened and flooded the whole house.

For a short time you could use a freezing kit (lasts 30 mins)

You could drain the system down.

You could get a piece of copper pipe solder an "end cap" on it fit a compression joint to the pipe that is the same size as the radiator pipe and connect that to the trv.

But i do not know what size thread the radiator valve is

thanx for a reply, i'm aware of the cold issue on trv's but i thought that when i'd removed the head of the valve there would be a way of tightening the valve shut. The pin which is left there obviously goes up and down and the 2 nuts below it can be undone and remove the pin completely - do you think removing the pin will stop any activity at all.
The freeze idea is a good one but the next rad i'm removing will be off the wall for a couple of days, so not practical.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back