Isolator Switch Installation - Who should I contact & co

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My electricity supplier is British Gas. I live in the former Northern Electric (NEEB) area. Who should I contact to have a DP isolator installed in preparation for a CU replacement in the near future? Also, does anyone know how much it's likely to cost (for the isolator install, not CU replacement)?

Thanks in advance!
Japes

Sponsored Links
You could ask the electrician who is replacing the CU to fit the isolator at the same time.

Or just not bother with the pointless thing. Just get a nice new shiny CU installed by your spark.

Hello mate,

If you get a sparky to install the dp isolator, he'll more than likely cut the seal off the main fuse. I am not sure about NEEB but here, central networks are putting their foot downa and charging £2000 payable before the power supply is put back in.
If you supplier is BG, then ring the number at the front of the bil and ask to speak to the MAST team. Just tell them you need an isolation switch installed as you are having a fusebox change but make sure they don't get a sparky from the homecare team, they won;t be able to do it. Meter admin will then instruct the local meter op to install the DP isolator costs about £40 to £60.

Sponsored Links
, central networks are putting their foot downa and charging £2000 payable before the power supply is put back in.
under what circumstances? The supply can be "put back in" by re-inserting the fuse, surely. Meter readers dont give a hoot if the seals are broken. If they see a shiny new CU they know what the craik is.

If you supplier is BG, then ring the number at the front of the bil and ask to speak to the MAST team.
I'm sure that will raise some eyebrows. The what team?

Meter admin will then instruct the local meter op to install the DP isolator costs about £40 to £60.
"Meter op"s change meters. Last I knew, they dont install isolators. I may be wrong on this one. Well done to whoever privatised this bloated and over-complex industry. Some DNOs dont supply isolators, but all will temp disconnect if you request (for you to do work on the installation)

N-power came and changed my meter, upgraded my tails to 25mm and fit an isolator on my request, all free of charge :)

I'm with BG in Cambridge. It took me a while to get through to someone who understood what I was asking for, but they came out and did it for 30 quid. Well, I say they, actually they sent out Siemens, who also do all the meter work for them in the area.

At home somewhere I've got a direct number to the department who deals with it, which might avoid having to go through a customer service rep who doesn't understand what you're asking for, if I remember when I get home this evening I'll dig it out for you (hopefully it's a nationwide one, not just my area)...

Just asked BG to fit an isolator switch. You need to call 0800 3161779 and ask them to book the job, this is the direct number for the correct department that deals with this. Quoted £38.50 and they sent united utilities to do the job within 5 days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back