Replacing CU and backboard - (edit: What was I thinking!?!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my CU and backboard for my house to have it better laid out, remove redundant equipment and make adding new circuits easier etc.

I have Scottish Gas coming round next week to install an isolator switch making replacement of the CU safer, but as the meter and bullet fuse are installed on the EXISTING backboard, I'm scratching my head about just what order I should do things in!

Do I prepare a new backboard with the new CU on it, but no loads (MCB's) connected to it, so Scottish Gas can pull the meter and fuse holder and re-install them on the new board while they're here? I assume the cost of installing the isolator switch includes making good any meter tails to the CU.

Yes, this is notifiable and I do have a proper electrician onboard to inspect certify any work done, as can be done in Scotland, apparently.

Sponsored Links
Ihave Scottish Gas coming round next week to install an isolator switch making replacement of the CU safer, but as the meter and bullet fuse are installed on the EXISTING backboard, I'm scratching my head about just what order I should do things in!
Do I prepare a new backboard with the new CU on it, but no loads (MCB's) connected to it, so Scottish Gas can pull the meter and fuse holder and re-install them on the new board while they're here? I assume the cost of installing the isolator switch includes making good any meter tails to the CU.
I'm a bit confused by all this. For a start, your CU should not be on the electricity company's backboard. Also you say that they are coming to fit an isolator, but it sounds as if you also want them to relocate their fuse and meter. Have you asked them to do it, and have they agreed? (it's not necessarily as straighforward as you seem to be suggesting).

More generally, when installing an isolator they usually do just that, connecting its output to your existing CU (which was previously connected directly to meter). One can then isolate and change the CU at one's subsequent leisure.

Kind Regards, John.

Scottish gas as your supplier will fit an isolator into the existing meter tails.
The cut-out and meter board are the responsibility of your DNO to deal with, when you change the CU put it on a separate board as if the DNO need to change the board it gets difficult.

All the electrician can do is anything in relation to the CU

Right ow my meter, bullet fuse fuse box and various 13A sockets, Master telephone socket, broadband router among other things are all scrweed to the same backboard. It sorely needs tidying up.

I think what I might do is strip off all my own equipment (incl CU) and just screw a new MDF board onto the top of the old one, then re-install the new CU etc. That way I don't have to disturb the meter etc.

Sponsored Links
are you fitting a new twin RCD CU and able to check ZE/PFC/FRC/r1+r2/IR/ZS and rcd trip before livening it up?

Acually, this is bull. What the hell am I thinking? (bangs head on desk!)

Running wires through joists at a certain depth etc I can do. It's like crossing the road.

Changing my consumer unit? That's also bit like crossing the road, only blindfolded, on stilts, backwards.

I've done it once before in Uni - which is where I got the misguided impression I could do it in the "real" world. When I was doing my electronics degree there was a class on household electrics which involved among other things, wiring a consumer unit. Of course, in college, there are no cars to knock you off your stilts, and the road is made of foam rubber if you fall!

I think I'm finally beginning to realise that there are limits to my abilities, and although I "might" at one time have attempted crossing the road on stilts, I sure as hell wouldn't do it while carrying my kids.

Think I'll take that electrician up on his offer.

Guy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back