Main switch in CU optional?

securespark,

:( Hadn't considered that possibility. The cabinet is circa 1970 and I'm pretty sure is original fit when the property was built. All the houses on the estate have similar. When the chap came to fit the isolating switch I told him it was in preparation for getting the CU replaced. His only comment was limited to saying that he isn't allowed to touch the CU as it's the home owners property.

It would seem a pretty short sighted policy to prevent the replacement of an old CU with a safer modern unit with RCD or RCBO protection. I'm certainly not up for rewiring the entire house to an alternative distribution point just to allow this to happen. Not to mention the 6m run of a switch fuse you'd then need.

Given I now have the isolator fitted the DNO doesn't need to have any further involvement. I can just get my spark to come in and swap the CU

Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back