CU tidy up last hurdles are boards fuse size and earth

I was suprised you were not along earlier to mention the missing sticker Ban ;)

There is a cover for the busbar (left off for clarity) as they say.

You wont have to worry about Contactum any longer unless there is a management buy out, seems they couldnt scrap together the funds to pay the VAT man (alegedly)

The plasma is rated at a max of 32Amps though I shall never see it that high, the only half suitable plugs and sockets I had in the junk/spares box were the 110V ones, got plenty of them ;)

Sponsored Links
you need to shuffle the neutrals up one then.. ( and the coresponding earths too. )

you have 8 places on the non RCD side, yet the non- RCD neutral bar goes up to 9..

number 10 is therefore the neutral hole for the 50A breaker.. and so on..

since contactumm have recenly gone out of business ( so it's been said on here anyway ), then I would go and buy a couple of spare breakers to keep in a box somewhere in case yours start to fail at some point down the line... )

your garage / shed circuit will also need RCD protection now since it will be completed under the 17th edition regs.. ( shift it over to the now unused 50A on the RCD side.. move the breaker with it.. )

I was suprised that nobody mentioned yet the lack of Caution sticker for BS7671 mixed colours.
I was going to mention that, honest....

And the 110V socket. Presumably you've got a 110V plug on your 230V plasma cutter, for some reason.

I guess all that's left is to wonder if there should be a shroud or cover over the bus bar, or if that's just par-for-the-course Contactum quality.

I would lock off that isolator until you get the correct 16A / 32A ceeform in blue. Just think of what would happen if some one puts a 110V device in that ceeform by mistake.

This is a new job but you used the cheapest CU going and well they no longer manufacture anything they have gone into administration last time I checked. I very happy they have finally gone! Apart from that looks good.

Adam

OK Adam, please check the pic below, I really cant see how anyone is going to get into my locked garage witha bit of 110v kit and then want to plug it in but I do take the point all have raised (honest) :)

View media item 11586
It might look new but this has been ongoing since Feb 2006 its just taken this long for it all to get sorted from being a temp hang it on the wall while work continues to a finished job (well almost)

Coljack, I have plenty of spare mcb's for this but if I didnt it seems Protek ones are pretty much identical.

I guess I may have to do some renumbering or shifting to make it look 100%

Is it all circuits now need rcd cover? Or just those likely to be used for the garden? I have a double rcd weatherproof socket on the back garage wall so I cant see anyone wanting to come in the garage from that direction for extra power. The front of the garage has a double rdc 13a socket just inside the door as well.

If I were (alegedly) considering taking an swa up the garden from the non rcd side of the cu I would cover it at the far end with an rcd in the shed cu so why would I need 2?

Oh almost forgot, pic for Ban

View media item 11587
Useful thread this for me :)

Sponsored Links
Is it all circuits now need rcd cover? Or just those likely to be used for the garden?

Not all circuits, but all general purposes socket outlets rated at <20A have to, as do any cables buried at less than 50mm in a wall that aren't either SWA or similar or in earthed metal conduit, which means in most houses the vast majority of circuits now have to be (lighting and ring mains).

The SWA itself wouldn't have to be RCD protected, so it's OK to take that from the non RCD side, as long as you have an RCD at the far end protecting any sockets taken from it.

The other big change in the 17th is that standard split load boards like yours are no longer allowed, there needs to be separation such that an RCD tripping will not take out too many circuits (can't remember exactly how this is worded in the regs). The best way to do this is with RCBOs, although the common answer now seems to be dual split load boards (i.e. two RCDs).

Hey RF you forgot the "old" :LOL:

Even Ban didnt have a poke like he sometimes does, but I guess there has to be one. I'm sorry you feel i'm incontinent, I managed to put in a lifetime of industrial electrical engineering without causing harm to anyone so I cant have been that bad. Perhaps its dimentia setting in. :rolleyes:

If thats the case, then you ought to know better than anyone.

Have you no pride in your work?

It's sad to see that you don't care about doing the job properly in your own home.

Rebuke, thanks for the info, my 36ft garage is wired as a radial with 2.5mm on a 3" metal cable tray high level (all surface cables) and earth bonded back to cu with a 20a mcb on the non rcd side, so that doesnt need an rcd or rcbo?

A seperate garage 2.5mm radial feeds 1 double 13a socket, a 14amp max draw aircon unit via a double pole switch and a double 13a rcd external socket (no external cable) again thats on a 20a mcb on non rcd side of the cu.

So its rcbo's if in future I need any circuits to comply with 17th then.

Yes the shed cu will be covered there by an rcd covering all circuits.

The sockets you mentioned not needing RCD protection under the 16th... well, they do if they are likely to be used to supply equipment for use outdoors...

securespark, there are only 2 access points to the outside world from my garage, one has a double 13 a rcd socket just inside the up and over door and the other has a double rcd socket just outside the door in the garden.
I wouldnt reasonably expect anyone to pass by these to plug into any others.
So I think im covered?

The standard under later 15th Ed. was to do this: fit RCD sockets adjacent to front and rear doors. I guess you don't have a RCD socket near the front or other outside doors?

However, the concensus under the 16th was, at a minimum, all GF sockets and some sparks put all sockets on the RCD.

Hmmm, I have freezers in kitchen, dining room and garage so the ground floor ring is not on the rcd side to attempt to stop a trip from loosing all the contents, this was the general rule for the ground floor ring as I remember it.
Is it just a case of tough luck now if something takes out the freezer circuit?

However, the concensus under the 16th was, at a minimum, all GF sockets and some sparks put all sockets on the RCD.
Even though that was clearly not the requirement.

A long history, I guess, of sparks going for overkill solutions because they are too scared to think for themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back