Replacing battens behind electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our electricity meter is under the stairs, secured to a board which is mounted on battens fixed to separate battens on a plastered wall (see photo). To make better use of the space and make it look tidier with more shelves, I'd like to line the cupboard with plywood.

The question is; would I be permitted to unscrew the backboard from the battens - definitely not touching or interfering with meter or the tails - pull it away from the wall by a couple of inches and then slide in the plywood and re-fix the backboard to the plywood?

Also, we're looking at getting a smart meter fitted so would this be better done before or after this?

I'm well aware of the potentially major implications of messing with a meter but not sure if the supplier needs to send someone for this?

I'm not touching the consumer unit - I'll just do a cut out for that one.

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't get a smart meter. They are for the suppliers benefit, not yours.

As for what you want to do I would be very careful. You could easily dislodge a poor connection.

The question is; would I be permitted to unscrew the backboard from the battens - definitely not touching or interfering with meter or the tails - pull it away from the wall by a couple of inches and then slide in the plywood and re-fix the backboard to the plywood?
Absolutely NOT.
Doing so has a risk of damaging that ancient lead cable that supplies the electricity to your house, and if damaged, the result will be a loud explosion and a large fire.

here is the picture you forgot to include:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_0044.105927/

Also, we're looking at getting a smart meter fitted so would this be better done before or after this
During. Have everything ready to go an offer the installer "a cup of tea" / bung of £50 if he'll swap the board while there.

Sponsored Links
Don’t move it, it’s a really old cast iron troughed cutout and the lead cable sheath is liable to break when moved about. Plus a smart meter installer will have a panic attack because it isn’t all shiny an new

I cant tell whats going on there, looks like a plastic 60 amp fuse on the side wall and just a Henley block and a meter on the Wooden board

I cant tell whats going on there, looks like a plastic 60 amp fuse on the side wall and just a Henley block and a meter on the Wooden board
Are not that 60A fuse holder and the adjacent Henley-like neutral block attached to the top of a cast iron 'cutout' housing (with the incoming supply cable coming out of the bottom of that cutout)?

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for the excellent feedback. Message clear: I'm not going to touch it. The supplier says that they'll move it less than 15 centimetres for free so plan B was to do the wood lining at the back around the consumer unit and then ask them to move it to the gap between the unit and the wall. Does this sound feasible? Is there a minimum separation distance between the unit and the meter?

Thank you again for your help.

Are not that 60A fuse holder and the adjacent Henley-like neutral block attached to the top of a cast iron 'cutout' housing (with the incoming supply cable coming out of the bottom of that cutout)?

Kind Regards, John
As said I cannot tell, looks like maybe 3 phase fuses, but fitted at a right angle, seems weird
full

Don’t move it, it’s a really old cast iron troughed cutout and the lead cable sheath is liable to break when moved about. Plus a smart meter installer will have a panic attack because it isn’t all shiny an new

..and a Smart Meter installer will only usually have very limited job training, to pull the cut-out fuse, connect the meter and run. Moving the cut-out especially with an old lead cable will be well outside his/her expertise and extremely risky.

Soane, work around the board - do NOT try and remove it from the wall or move it so that the thick cable gets moved AT ALL.
The dangers of doing this are great and the risk is not worth it.
When doing what your doing consider not making it harder for someone to access and maintain the equipment, also those hooks - I hope that coats are not hung on them because if something does go wrong they will allow a fire to spread.

A photo from/of the front the board may help the further discussion about it.

Soane, work around the board - do NOT try and remove it from the wall or move it so that the thick cable gets moved AT ALL.
The dangers of doing this are great and the risk is not worth it.
When doing what your doing consider not making it harder for someone to access and maintain the equipment, also those hooks - I hope that coats are not hung on them because if something does go wrong they will allow a fire to spread.

A photo from/of the front the board may help the further discussion about it.

Thanks to you and everyone who has replied. The house is a standard 1930s semi and I had the consumer unit replaced when we bought the house in 2015. The meter and mains cable are unchanged since then. I've attached a couple of photos which hopefully show it a bit more clearly. (The hooks usually have a bag of plastic bags hanging from it - which, in light of your comment, I think it would be best to move).

There are some old metal pipes below the consumer unit by they are redundant and don't connect to anything. The aim was to improve the storage so that it would be easier to access but I completely agree that it'll be better to work around it.

Thank you again

IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0046.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back