damaged electric meter quandry what should I do please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi trying to decide pro's and con's of what is best way forward.

Our Economy 7 meter got damaged (a bit cracked and glass broken) several years ago by a meter reader who tripped and lent on the hoover hose pushing it into the meter to stop himself falling. The meter remained working and the guy said he would report it so we were not charged and they would get it changed. Anyway nothing happened and we forgot about it and it worked perfectly. Now several years later, and after several energy provider changes the meter has stopped working, the wheel seems to stick sometimes on the night rate but works fine on the day rate. It makes a funny sound like its trying but jammed. As I can touch the wheel and front plate (Yeah I know but I did have an electrical background in my job), the wheel feels free and the plate in front of the digits doesn't seem to be stopping them from moving. I'm wondering if it had another bash with the hoover hose.

Anyway I am now with Bulb for energy on Economy 7 and they are keen to get me on a Smart meter, SMET2 they are offering which I know is the better one but they don't do Economy 7 as far as I know.

So I checked the difference using our usage with Economy 7 against the normal non-Economy 7 and E7 is saving us £193 per year. Therefore I think its worth keeping.

Obviously the Smart meter is free and hopefully they don't give me hassle over my broken meter as my bills have been constant and so no sign of being fiddled.

But what else can I do, can I get a replacement E7 meter free?

Who do I talk to, to get it replaced?

If I have to pay, how much will it cost?

What do you think I should do?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Smart meters can charge whatever whenever the suppliers want. That's the point of them.

Just get the existing one replaced if the company thinks it necessary. No one has to pay for their meter.

Was this definitely reported to the supplier when it was broken by the meter reader?

I'm sorry to say but, as the householder, you are responsible if it gets damaged and the danger is that they will often look at these circumstances in a prejudiced manner. You may find yourself having to answer a lot of searching questions and they will go over your previous bill payments with a fine toothcomb. They may then watch future bills with a keen eye to see if they are consistent with previous bills over the years.

Sponsored Links
how much do you pay for your off peak and peak units
whats your consumption off peak and peak
i pay 12p a unit flat rate ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back