Isolator Valve Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last night I heard a dreaded dripping noise and tracked it down to an isolator valve connecting the mains to the cistern on the toilet.

It looks like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-isolating-valve-pack-of-10/32802

The water comes in from the bottom and the leak is at the top where the water is bubbling out.

I turned the screw to the off position and that worked to stop the leak (but obviously the cistern no longer fills).

What would you normally do to resolve this?

I'm no plumber, but I've thought about:
  • Removing the pipe at the top and attempting to put it back in more securely
  • Removing the pipe at the top, buy a new valve and use the seal from the new valve
  • Adding some sealant around the top of the valve
  • Turning the stop cock (Which can be a bit leaky when disturbed) and replacing the part
  • Get a plumber in to solve it
Any help will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure that it is only the top nut on the isolator is leaking , if so , undo it , pull up and add some joining compound over the olive , re tighten then check , it could also be coming from the tap connected where it joints onto your fill valve , if so disconnect and replace with a 1/2 fibre washer ,

Sponsored Links
The jointing compound did the trick. My first venture into plumbing a success... but I'll keep an eye on it for a bit just in case :p

Thanks again Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back