Isolator valve instead of drain cock

Sponsored Links
1) How often are you planning to drain your rads?
2) The rads already have isolators on them.
3) The isolators you have linked to are a) quite restrictive b) crap quality - I'll almost guarantee that when you use them in a couple of years time they will either leak or you won't be able to fully close them.

hot water pipes are hot for a few minutes to half an hour at 60c or so if they're on a shower, and clean fresh water.
heating pipes are hot for hours on end (up to 80c at times) and have mucky water with chemicals in circulating.
But if it's marked as suitable for heating then go for it. The drain ones are just compact and reliable when switched off.

Isolator valve instead of a drain cock???

That’s like saying can I cut my hair with a knife instead of a pair of scissors.

Sponsored Links
Henry,
Would also add to others comments that an isolator valve with its open end will spray/splash the water when used, causing you more mess and hassle.
A drain valve is better because it directs the water (so less spray) and you can push a hose pipe on it to direct it into a bucket (useful when drain valve is near the the floor and lower than lip of bucket),or even straight outside.
SFK

Thanks for your useful comments.
I only thought I'd use them instead of the usual drain valve because I've read in this very forum that the drain valve has a small flow. Also the isolator valve has thread, so it's easy to attach a garden hose or washing machine hose. Spraying won't be an issue.

1) How often are you planning to drain your rads?
2) The rads already have isolators on them.
3) The isolators you have linked to are a) quite restrictive b) crap quality - I'll almost guarantee that when you use them in a couple of years time they will either leak or you won't be able to fully close them.

Crap quality? That's not good, I bought a pack of them and gradually fitting them around the house! Can you post the link to a decent one?

hot water pipes are hot for a few minutes to half an hour at 60c or so if they're on a shower, and clean fresh water.
heating pipes are hot for hours on end (up to 80c at times) and have mucky water with chemicals in circulating.
But if it's marked as suitable for heating then go for it. The drain ones are just compact and reliable when switched off.
Good point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back