isolators and 20A protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is obviously a leg-pull. C'mon guys, he's had his fun, leave him alone now. He'll only come back with more silly ideas if you encourage him.

You can always come up with good work around if you like. Others have.

Sponsored Links
As previously pointed out the two legs MUST be of the same length to use as a radial otherwise one cable will carry more current than the other. I really can't believe what I've been reading in your posts John, and you claim to be an engineer? What kind?.... so I can stay well clear of your 'projects' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As previously pointed out the two legs MUST be of the same length to use as a radial otherwise one cable will carry more current than the other. I really can't believe what I've been reading in your posts John, and you claim to be an engineer? What kind?.... so I can stay well clear of your 'projects' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am actually getting somewhere by batting the ball. The best idea to me was from Rocky, splitting the ring into two radial circuits, as there are spare ways on the CU. Then putting all the other sockets on the other ring which can cope.

The 2.5mm cable can be on a 20A mcb at the CU.

See what happens when people bat the ball in civilized way? A solution.

I've no idea why you quoted me as it has absolutely nothing to do with your post BUT yes you have a possible solution... enjoy! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've no idea why you quoted me as it has absolutely nothing to do with your post BUT yes you have a possible solution... enjoy! :LOL:

Thank you! Easy isn't it? That is why I came here. Some are good and think, others do not read properly and one has attitude. Nevertheless a solution was reached.

BTW, back to your post. If the two cables are not equal length and one is drawing more current than the other, what is the big problem? That occurs on a ring anyhow.

In this case the total current drawn would be well under 32A which is the mcb size for a ring. Of course try to get them the same length, but if they are not quite the same length I can't see a big problem.

Assuming your scenario of a max 20 amp load then even substantially different lengths won't matter much (dependent on derating factors), but loading on one end of a ring does cause major problems!

Thank you! Easy isn't it? That is why I came here. Some are good and think, others do not read properly and one has attitude. Nevertheless a solution was reached.
Your opening post ruled out running a new circuit from the CU, but you think that people should have guessed that you'd be able to rip and replace two circuits within the kitchen and should have suggested that at the start?

If the two cables are not equal length and one is drawing more current than the other, what is the big problem? That occurs on a ring anyhow.
A ring is not the same as a parallel circuit.

Still - the electrician you use to do the work will be the one making the call.

Of course try to get them the same length, but if they are not quite the same length I can't see a big problem.
Wheher you do or not is of no importance.

Your opening post ruled out running a new circuit from the CU, but you think that people should have guessed that you'd be able to rip and replace two circuits within the kitchen and should have suggested that at the start?

No. But attitude does not help at all.

If the two cables are not equal length and one is drawing more current than the other, what is the big problem? That occurs on a ring anyhow.

A ring is not the same as a parallel circuit.

cozycats answered that one.

Of course try to get them the same length, but if they are not quite the same length I can't see a big problem.
Wheher you do or not is of no importance.

Still have attitude eh. You added no value in getting a solution, others did, who I thank.

No. But attitude does not help at all.
Lose yours then.

Still have attitude eh. You added no value in getting a solution, others did, who I thank.
There you go again - trying to dismiss sound advice that you happen not to like by the application of ad hominem fallacies.

You aren't doing the work, so what problems you do, or do not see, are of no importance.

Perfectly correct, perfectly factual, and written perfectly civilly.

But not to your liking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back