Issue with Heavy Wood Shelf over Fireplace on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been tasked by the mrs to put a 35 kilo solid wood shelf over a glass fireplace.

The item came with some metal rods, bolts and screws and large raw plugs for a 10mm drill bit. It is supported by 3 large rods with screw ends.

However I used a masonary drill to go through the plasterboard and into the brezze block but the hole in the breezeblock looks more like about 15mm than 10mm. I think it kind of broke away or the drill did not run true.

I have cut now 3 round holes in the plaserboard to see the breeze block and allow for some filling. I was hoping I could use a tube of something to refill the hole?

What can I use now to fill the holes easily and prepare to drill again a new set of holes directly into the breeze block and provide the strength and support.

Thanks
Roy

Sponsored Links
Fill the holes with gripfill or similar then push the raw plug in, hopefully once it sets it will hold firm. Don't fill with filler then drill it out again as this won't hold anything.

Wow! 35kg! It must be massive. I would reduce its weight by drilling the hidden side repeatedly. Then there's less chane of it falling down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back