Issue with plaster on stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of advice here.... (as usual)!

Where my walls meet the stairs (stair string ?) I have a nice crack running along it as there is a bit of movement in the stairs. How can I best solve this ?

One of my mates ripped about an inch of the wall out and filled it full of plaster and then caulked along the edge which has solved most of it apart from the bottom part (where most of the movement is). What can I do to address this as more plaster/polyfilla will just crack again.

I can't really run a quadrant bead along as it appears that the width of the stair string seems to change. I have been told to drill it and screw it and then caulk, but in order to get the rawlplugs through the width of the hole is bigger than the screw head so there is now way it would be of any use.

Any advice much appreciated!

Ben.

Sponsored Links
Even if your stairs were bolted into the wall every inch you will still have a crack forming on the plaster to string line if it has been plastered down too, this is because the wood will expand and contract alot faster than the wall and alot more than the wall. If the crack is right where the plaster meets the string then there is no point in removing 1" of plaster, just caulk the line.

Sponsored Links
Think I misunderstood the op.
You can buy screws with larger screw heads.
You can also consider running joint tape along the crack and either fill out with filler, plaster or easifill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back