Issue with rad trv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of guidance we had central heating fitted a few years ago now, but I now have an issue. The tit who fitted it has put the valves on the kitchen rad right next to the washer.
The washer now needs replacing but because the trv and drain point are so close to the washer I cannot remove it without taking out half the bloody kitchen

Does anyone have any ideas

Here's a pic (and god knows why the valves are on that way they are the same on every rad)

Sponsored Links
The TRV could possibly be turned to vertical if it is bi-directional. (Or replaced with one which is.)
Are there any arrow-like symbols on the valve body?

The only way you're going to get that washing machine out without kitchen dismantling is by draining the system (good thing you've got a drain point there) and cutting the pipe back to a position where you can get the rad out.

There's no easy way of uncoupling soldered plumbing/drain valves, you need to get the hacksaw out.

If you've a standalone unit next to the washing machine though (i.e. not with a sink above it) it may be pretty straightforward to just pull that out first. Modern baseline units are on adjustable legs; so just undo any coupling screws to its neighbour, lower the unit and pull it out.

Sponsored Links
Yup unfortunately it is the sink unit and whole shibang next to the washer!!

The valve does have arrows on it which leads me to believe it is bi directional because the arrows are on both sides

So the general feeling here is:

1. Drain system from the drain point
2. Remove the trv
3. Cut back the drain Pipe
4. Remove washer

Then repair/replace as necessary

That's pretty much it. If you can cut at a vertical section, that being if the pipes come down the wall to the rad, then I would do that, as it will make soldering back up easier as there won't be settled water in the pipe (like horizontal sections tend to have).

Whilst it's off, if you feel it would make it easier next time, I would swap the TRV for the lockshield valve on the other end of the rad, and heat/twist the drain valve to veritcal. That will give you a bit more room and might mean you can just take the rad off next time. Don't forget unclipping the pipes and pushing them to the wall will also give you 1/2" or so.

I thought as much with the sink, usual place for them next to the machines unfortunately.

Yes quite a nightmare really I was thinking I may swap the valves areound
Would it make a difference to the operation of rad in question?

Unfortunately there is no vertical pipe close as they run horizontal above the concrete floor so will have to make sure water is all out and dry

I'm still struggling to see why you would put a bi directional trv on that way!!

Whats stopping the machine coming out, certainly not the rad valve :confused:

Whats stopping the machine coming out, certainly not the rad valve :confused:

The trv valve is butted right up to the machine there is no wiggle room either side
Right side is the wall and other side it is butted up to the sink unit

I'm open to ideas as to how to get it out

But as mentioned above I see that as the only feasible option other than dismantling the whole sink assembly pipes worktop and also the sink unit is a double so half of they is butted up to the adjoining base units and worktop

Which seems like a lot of work to remove a washer!

But any ideas welcome on this one

As I cannot see any washing machine I don't understand what the problem is from that picture.

Rotating the TRV would seem a sensible thing to do anyway.

Can anyone else describe clearly to me what his problem is?

As I cannot see any washing machine I don't understand what the problem is from that picture.

Rotating the TRV would seem a sensible thing to do anyway.

Can anyone else describe clearly to me what his problem is?

Rotate the pic clockwise and the head is touching the washing machine, still don't see the problem, the head could be unscrewed temporarily in any case

Whatever rotation I apply to the picture I still don't see any washing machine!

Unscrewing the head is such a simple solution that I don't see why the OP would not have thought of that.

In any case the projection away from the wall beyond the rad must be only a very few mm anyway!

The end of the head is touching the washing machine.

Take the lid off the boxing and the rad will probably move a few mm to the right :rolleyes:

Whatever rotation I apply to the picture I still don't see any washing machine!

Unscrewing the head is such a simple solution that I don't see why the OP would not have thought of that.

In any case the projection away from the wall beyond the rad must be only a very few mm anyway!

Yes I need a bit of clearance to pull the mashing out on an angle
Obviously I don't need massive clearance but I do need some which with the location of the valve makes it impossible

I'm going to see if I can wiggle the rad to the right slightly to see if it give me enough room to get the valve off which might enable it to come out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back