It takes ages for the hot to flow due to pipe run length....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.... So is there a simple circuit I could use to make water flow past the tap ie use a 'T' piece and a return pipe to the bottom of the hot cylinder so I always have hot instantly available?

I'm thinking it would need a non return, one way or reducer valve in it somewhere. Would it still work on gravity flow?

Stew,

Sponsored Links
Thats known as secondary circulation.
Get a plumbing book out of the library or google it
Needs no valves as such it can work on gravity but thats hard to set up sometimes. If you have it pumped then you need a bronze pump which is quite expensive. Last time I came across one it was nearly £200 just for the pump.

200£ for the pump..........same for a point of use unvented 15litre electric hot water storage ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige,

I had thought of that.

Am I right in thinking that will need a two pole isolating switch which should be fitted by a 'real' sparky to avoid Insurance issues if the place burns down?

Stew,

You will also need to insulate the entire length of the pipework loop very well otherwise it will become a radiator and you will loose heat quickly.

If you "just insulate" the hot pipe with think insulation the it will stay hot from the last usage for quite a while perhaps an hour or so.

There is a clever way to get return circulation by feeding a thin plastic pipe up the inside of the pipe!

Tony

Agile,

Surely that would need a very fancy glanding arrangement at each end to get circulation.

All the invertory would be at the same temperature so you'd lose the temperature gradient required....

I'm probably missing something though.

Stew,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back