Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing a socket

It has the ring cables plus spur
The cable is the stranded type so has a
Larger cross section
The three cables will not go in to the
new socket plate. I want to join the cables and put a 'fly leads' to the socket terminals.
Would a single 2.5 mm be ok for each?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why is there stranded cable ?

If's it's 2.5mm TE, then it will fit in a standard socket terminal- at a squeeze you should be able to get 4mm x 3 in, so I don't really understand what your problem is.

You are twisting the strands to make sure each cable can fit in, and that none are splaying out and taking up all the terminal area.

Why is there stranded cable ?

Because it is existing wiring, maybe?

Studentspark. some of the (may I say) cheaper sockets do not have very big cable terminations. Use a reasonable make like MK and you'll be fine.

Are the 3 wires twisted together, as that often makes it take up more space overall than just putting them in next to each other?

Sponsored Links
The op says ring plus spur. It does sound like a cheapo socket. Try mk as suggested or any make with a good size round brass connection.

Is the stranded wire 2.5 mm, or larger?

You could obtain some wire the same size,
Put a ring wire, spur wire and new piece of wire in a 30 amp connector block.
And connect the other end of the new wire and the remaining ring wire into the socket terminal.

Repeat for the other two conductors.

This way the socket will only have two wires in each terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back