2.5mm cable is stranded?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a socket that's a spur from a double socket on the main ring.
The cable is black / red ( guy installed it about a year ago)
Was decorating so took of face plate on the spur socket and notice the cable is a single core earth and the black and red cables are multi strand.
Just wondering is this okay I have only ever seen single core cable myself?
It just looks like normal all in a grey sheef but like I say the neutral and live are multi cored.. Maybe about 8 strands in each.

So is it up to the job, why use it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Either sounds like you have got 4.00mm cable rather than 2.5mm or the guy has used some old imperial cable from somewhere.
Was this guy an electrician or someone you dragged in?

Either sounds like you have got 4.00mm cable rather than 2.5mm or the guy has used some old imperial cable from somewhere.
Was this guy an electrician or someone you dragged in?
Well it looks exact same size as 2.5 just that it's stranded.. He was a electrician I didnt "drag" him in anywhere..

Sponsored Links
Its normal, 2.5 comes as solid core or stranded, 7 strands. Stranded is more flexible and stronger than solid core.

Ah k thanks mate. Didn't realise it was also sold as stranded.. It's more pricey I take it? And easier to work with....

Hello
Was decorating so took of face plate on the spur socket and notice the cable is a single core earth and the black and red cables are multi strand.
It just looks like normal all in a grey sheef but like I say the neutral and live are multi cored.. Maybe about 8 strands in each.

It will be 7 strands.

It could be 4mm² cable (instead of usual 2.5mm²) in which case it will be better.

hi mate
side by side with normal single core 2.5mm cable they have exactly the same insulation sizes (red/black and the outer grey)

Hello

It will be 7 strands.

It could be 4mm² cable (instead of usual 2.5mm²) in which case it will be better.

i guess he was using up old stock?
Considering the new colours were introduced in April 2004, either the person:

- has 100 miles of old colour cable stashed away for whatever reason
- used some old cable obtained when stripping out an installation
- purchased the cable on ebay, and paid 10x the normal price for it
- only installs 4ft of cable per year, so that roll they purchased in 1976 is still only half used.

i guess he was using up old stock?
Considering the new colours were introduced in April 2004, either the person:

- has 100 miles of old colour cable stashed away for whatever reason
- used some old cable obtained when stripping out an installation
- purchased the cable on ebay, and paid 10x the normal price for it
- only installs 4ft of cable per year, so that roll they purchased in 1976 is still only half used.

lol ok..
so anyway its safe. i don't need to get someone in to fit single core?

I blame the booze, or even the medication, but it appears I can no longer read what's written despite "reading" it many, many times...... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back