Stranded Wiring Replacement?

Sponsored Links
What is "earth bonding"?
Just pedantry regarding the term.

It is actually called 'Main Protective Bonding'.

However, it does bond the various 'earths' entering the premises so could be termed 'earth bonding' and it is connected to the Main Earthing Terminal so could be termed 'earthed bonding'.

As said the MPB should run from the point of entry of the water servic to the MET.
It is not necessary to connect all the pipes together if, as I presume, that is the kitchen.
Looking at your picture it does not appear to go any where; merely connecting the pipes.
Is there another wire somewhere else.

Excuse me if I am wrong (I'm not an electrician) but my gas & plumbing pipes all have 'earth bonding' connections. I assume this is for safety reasons just in case they somehow get connected to an electricity supply.
That would be 'Earthing'.
This is not the purpose of 'Bonding' which is to equalise potential between the various parts.

I would like to know if it works
If connected satisfactorily (good connections and to the correct places), It can't NOT work.
This can be checked with a multimeter.

...before my next shower!
This may also be dependent on 'Supplementary Bonding' in the (shower) room which may have been omitted if all the circuits in the room are RCD protected AND if two other conditions are satisfied.

Its the sort of term that gets used by DIYers, or others, that may not be as conversant with BS7671 definitions as you obviously are.

Sponsored Links
I always thought it was MEB, superseded by PEB?
I suppose it's all those things (including 'MPB'). Admittedly, Part 2 of BS7671 only gives an explicit definition of 'PEB'. However, the main section in BS7671 about 'main bonding' (544.1) is entitled "Main Protective Bonding conductors" (and repeatedly uses that term in its text) - so I reckon that you can pay your money and take your choice :)

[the word 'equipotential' (as in MEB and PEB) does not appear anywhere in section 544.1]

Kind Regards, John

A few chaps here, myself included love MICC. Shame it's not commonly used now due to the expense of the cable and labour to terminate it. I am currently pricing to wire some church lighting and have spec'd MICC , only worry is anyone else quoting will probably quote for PVC cable and will obviously win on costs. All I can do is a good salesman pitch to the committee to try and persuade them MI is the way to go.

Might be worth pointing your committee in thd direction of this article:

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/wires/wires.htm

You should get an Electrical installation Certificate. This should show continuity resistance and insulation resistance tests for every circuit, test results on the supply, test results for all of the RCDs/RCBOs installed.

Is the Electrical Installation Certificate:
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/P...1-Electrical-Installation-Certificate-v2.aspx

...the same as an Electrical Installation Condition Report:
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...pection-explained/guide-to-condition-reports/

No. An EIC is what the Wiring Regulations require be issued by the Designer, Installer & Tester (usually the same person) in connection with all but fairly minor new work.

An EICR is a report on the condition of an existing installation.

So, if I am having a new consumer unit installed, I only require the Electrical Installation Certificate?

Point taken. I wanted to make sure I asked for the right documentation.

Back to the actual question, the stranded cable, though PVC and could very well last forever, may be of a certain age where a green slime is likely to emerge from it.

This reaction occurs only in some cables of around the mid 60s approximately, which may well be the age of your cable.

Green slime oozes out of the cable, and in an advanced state can run into the socket or down the wall.

Have a look. If no green slime you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back